Huh - no HSPA+?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smithrh, Mar 3, 2011.

1. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Haven't seen a thread on this, but it looks like it's HSUPA and HSDPA and no HSPA+.

If true, this is a bit disappointing - mainly because I'm not in the market for a tablet at the moment, but for those that are, this has to be a let down.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I wonder if this means no HSPA+ on the iPhone this summer. I really hope not.

3. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

HSPA+ is really a stop-gap technology anyway... real world tests are showing that it's not much faster. Most people with good 3G coverage routinely get 3+ mbps on standard HSDPA, which is more than enough speed for the iPad 2. LTE, on the other hand, has other advantages over 3G, not the least of which is greatly reduced latency, which I'd argue is going to be more noticeable than faster throughput.

4. smithrh thread starter macrumors 68020

smithrh

LTE won't be around for a long time in many - if not most - UMTS markets.

HSPA+ is deployed _now_ and not just in AT&T.

It's an extremely effective stopgap, and operators have been picking it up in favor of LTE investments for a while now.

FYI, I'm in the cellular industry and I work on LTE, UMTS and CDMA (1X, 1XA and EVDO).

I find this omission curious, and will wait to see what the chipset actually offers.