Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Hello,

I've just switched to ThreeUK from O2 and so have lost Visual Voicemail. Looking around both HulloMail and Libon Voicefeed seem to come highly recommended and after a little research I selected Voicefeed because it appeared to offer free SMS alerts. However I've now discovered that they disabled the SMS alert features in favour of push notifications a few weeks ago. I've put together my own SMS alert system using IFTTT but wondered whether I've made the right decision based on the fact that my only deciding factor at the time was the SMS alerts. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Voicefeed, I'm just wondering what people thought to it compared to HulloMail? Has anyone used both and settled on one over the other for good reason?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments :)

Alec

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
I've been using HulloMail for a while now, so far seems really good, not had any problems with the push notifications.
I love the fact I can record different greetings for different people, means I can have professional greetings for work related contacts and more cheery greetings for friends and family.
Only downside is you have to record each greeting individually rather than being able to assign to a group, I emailed them and they said they are looking to add this in a future release, but only time will tell

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Only downside is you have to record each greeting individually rather than being able to assign to a group, I emailed them and they said they are looking to add this in a future release, but only time will tell
Ah, so you can't record a "family" greeting and then apply that to Mum, Dad etc., instead you have to re-record the greeting for Mum and Dad separately? If so then that's one win for VoiceFeed (which allows three custom greetings with the free version and you can group them, including hidden/withheld numbers).

Thanks!

Alec

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
One downside to any system that uses Push Notifications is that you won't be able to receive them if you're in an area where Three roams onto the Orange 2G network (no data service).

An SMS would come through fine, and you could call a number to access the message (HulloMail offers a number to dial for this - I don't know if Voicefeed does too).

I've decided to just stick with Three's Voicemail system. It's a huge step back from Visual Voicemail on O2, but I get less than one Voicemail a month, so it's really not worth it.

I did try HulloMail for a while and it seemed to work pretty well.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
One downside to any system that uses Push Notifications is that you won't be able to receive them if you're in an area where Three roams onto the Orange 2G network (no data service).

An SMS would come through fine, and you could call a number to access the message (HulloMail offers a number to dial for this - I don't know if Voicefeed does too)..
Voicefeed do have an 03... number to retrieve messages too so that is good. I am fairly certain that I can get data when roaming on to Orange's network so I would have thought that push notifications would make it through. I'm not too worried though because I've set up an SMS notification system through If This Then That which will alert me within 15 minutes of a voicemail being left.

I've decided to just stick with Three's Voicemail system. It's a huge step back from Visual Voicemail on O2, but I get less than one Voicemail a month, so it's really not worth it.

I did try HulloMail for a while and it seemed to work pretty well.
I don't get that many either, but did get quite used to viewing them and replaying them with the ease of Visual Voicemail on the iPhone :)

Thanks for your comments Daveoc64.

Alec

Libon

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Bringin' It Back?

Hey Alec,

As we've talked to you about on Twitter, there's a possibility of us reintroducing the SMS feature if enough of our fans request to have it again. Maybe you can recruit a few friends to get the ball rolling? :)

Beauborg

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Question for Libon:

I have installed the Voicefeed app but it won't let me proceed beyond the Choose Your Phone Number screen. It just keeps saying Nearly There.

Can you help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.