Hulu and AT&T to Test 'Pause Ads' in 2019, Automatically Playing Commercials When You Hit Pause

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Streaming TV services offered by companies like Hulu and AT&T are testing the waters for a new type of advertising called "pause ads" (via Variety). The idea behind pause ads is that instead of facing forced commercial breaks at specified interludes, users would be more accepting of ads that play when they choose to pause a show for a bit while they do something else.

Hulu says it plans to launch pause ads in 2019, but not much else was given in the way of details regarding which of its numerous streaming plans will include the new type of commercial. The plan likely to see pause ads is Hulu With Limited Commercials, which interjects a few ads throughout a show's runtime, similar to live TV, but again this hasn't been confirmed.

[​IMG]

AT&T cited similar interest in pause ads, stating that it also plans to launch technology in 2019 that plays a video when a user pauses a TV show. For both companies, it's unclear exactly how long these ads will run for, and if you'll be able to immediately cancel them out by simply hitting the play button and resuming your TV show.

According to Hulu vice president and head of advertising platforms Jeremy Helfand, pause ads will not be home to longform advertisements, but will instead focus on commercials where advertisers "have seconds" to deliver a message effectively. Over the next three years, Hulu expects "more than half" of its advertising revenue to come from these so-called non-disruptive experiences.

AT&T advertising vice president Matt Van Houten claims that the company is even working on a version of pause ads that will be interactive, so that viewers can "telescope" to more information from the advertiser by clicking on a remote. AT&T knows that viewers will raise concerns over the new type of advertising, but Van Houten claimed that they are just the next iteration of the "flying toaster" screensaver found on Macintosh computers in the late 80's.

Hulu on pause ads:
    AT&T:
    Some advertising executives are already unsure if pause ads will catch on. Tim Halon, CEO of media and advertising consultancy company Vetere Group, questions whether pause ads will be too disruptive: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should...if it's simply inserting, let's say a reverse-mortgage ad with a direct-response phone number? I don't know if that aids the consumer experience."

When it comes to advertising, many companies have had to walk a fine line in the past, particularly for streaming services like Hulu and Netflix. Earlier this year, Netflix tested a new feature that added video promotions for shows in between episodes, but users quickly pointed out their frustrations with the test and it never rolled out wide. Netflix executives still claim that there is not currently a plan to run traditional commercial advertisements on its service.

Although details about its service are still sparse, Apple is rumored to offer its upcoming TV shows free to Apple device owners through its TV app, and commercials are not expected to be a part of the experience.

Article Link: Hulu and AT&T to Test 'Pause Ads' in 2019, Automatically Playing Commercials When You Hit Pause

2. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

I think this is actually beneficial for both the consumer and the content provider. During play and pause times, you have the remote or the keyboard in-hand and you can just mute the audio, as opposed to scrambling for the remote when ads play at random times.

As long as you could resume playing and didn't have to wait for the ad to finish. This would de-incentivize pausing which isn't a feature that should be limited.

3. DrGorilla macrumors newbie

Great now, you have to pause and mute when the phone rings.

4. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

Stop it. Don't do that. Clearly none of the execs have to actually experience normal Hulu, which has too many ads as it is, especially considering it is a PAID service.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

When most people in my family and I pause a program, we expect total cessation of everything on the tv, especially sound. We may be taking a phone call or answering the doorbell. This would be incredibly annoying if pause suddenly meant an ad.

On the other hand, we don’t mind sitting through ads that are good and entertaining. There are quite a lot of them out there. There are many I remember fondly from various times in my life and the newer ones will also be fondly remembered someday.

The ad agencies just need to work hard and make engaging ads. For the most part they do. I don’t really watch much tv anymore except for sports with my husband. There have been a lot of amusing commercials that I enjoyed.

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

1. What advertiser is going to want to pay for an ad that is mostly guaranteed to not reach the viewer?
    2. This could lead to user confusion. When a user presses pause, they usually expect the TV to stop playing video.
    3. Do they not realize that there are many times when a user pauses the TV because they want the audio to stop so that they can ask someone calling from another room what they said, understand what a small child is asking for, answer the phone, etc?
    This seems ill-conceived and borderline malicious user interaction design.

7. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

This is brain dead. So what if my phone rings, how do I pause the show to answer the phone call without an ad blaring in the background? Would I need to exit the app? Not to mention this breaks the function of what all people expect the pause button to do. It’s not called the play ads button.

This feels like just another place to shove more ads, then charge us an extra $5 a month to remove them.

8. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

This is absolutely ridiculous. Hulu already has 5x the amount of ads that it should have, especially for a paid service. I swear, they're just always trying to find a way to make the user experience worse. Morons.

9. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

And they wonder why a lot of people pirate. Makes me wish more people would pirate and teach them a valuable lesson.

10. ignatius345, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018

ignatius345 macrumors 68000

Let me guess, you also love the Netflix Apple TV app's "start playing crap with sound any time the user stops for one second" interface?

--- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2018 ---
    We have the ad-free version -- I think garbage like this is set up to punish anybody who isn't paying extra for that.

11. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

This seems confusing, unless it's in some picture-in-picture setup. If I had not read this and perhaps recall it when I see it -- Contextually, if I hit pause, I expect everything to stop. If something else starts playing, I'm going to instinctively hit the button again, and my show will start back up... so I'll be caught in this loop of "why won't it pause?"

I get that revenues would keep subscriber costs down (at least that's how the practice is supposed to work)... but this seems janky...

12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

They just gave away a whole year for $12 last week. Sorry but they have to make money. They have an ad-free version that costs more, so get that if you don’t like the ads.

13. gaximus macrumors 6502a

Just pay the extra $2 a month to get the ad free version. Its well worth the money.

14. now i see it macrumors 68030

Nothing on these streaming services is worth waiting through commercials mid way. YouTube included. The moment an ad interrupts whatever mildly entertaining thing I'm watching, I close it and move on to something else.

15. tim34567 macrumors newbie

I’d be willing to bet pause ads won’t play sound, for everyone freaking out about that. It’ll be more like a screensaver.

16. AgustoPinochet macrumors newbie

AgustoPinochet

It's almost all propaganda anyways, there's so much political correctness shoehorned into your average show nowadays, I stopped watching/paying them for streaming a long time ago.

17. johncarync macrumors regular

johncarync

What about the times when I hit pause to actually look at something paused? Like, "There's Wesley's son! He was an extra on three episodes of this show." or "What's that thing in the corner? It looks like an antique popcorn popper." or "Did Justin Timberlake really just rip off Janet Jackson's top?"

18. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Cable has always been a paid service. Hulu is closer to cable than Netflix is to cable. Can’t really compare Hulu to ad-free platforms, as it offers many up-to-date shows.

I avoid this and go ad-free. Well worth the money to get my TV on demand without interruption.

19. cknibbs macrumors regular

So does that mean I’ll be programming a buttons on my harmony remote to pause and mute with one button press?

I actually don’t subscribe to Hulu, but I find the auto play previews on the Netflix menu annoying enough. I think some of the incumbent streaming providers are getting a little bit worried with rumours of Apple entering the game, and with the pending Disney+ service. I wouldn’t be surprised to see subscription services introduce service contracts and everything as time goes on. Eventually streaming will look a lot like cable.

20. RoobyRoobyRoo macrumors member

Look I dislike ads as much as the next guy, but if you can't find anything decently entertaining on any streaming service of Youtube, you're probably not doing a very good job of looking for stuff.

21. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

This will surely spell the end of my streaming with any service that forces this. It’s already bad enough that Prime forces some pre-roll self-ads now. People claim Apple is money grabbing but this type of thing is where the real money grabs are coming from. They won’t rest until people have been conditioned to believe advertising is the real content.

22. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

As I've said before, Hulu is the legacy TV industry's trojan horse to maintain their outdated business model in the threat of massive disruption from streaming services. It is NOT an alternative to Netflix, it is an attempt to stop Netflix and its like from forcing them to change.

23. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

"We know you’re going to capture 100% viewability when they pause and unpause"

You might find out you have 100% no one using your service too.

24. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

What will happen...The same number of Ad's as before Plus the Pause Ad's. Hulu is not worth the $12 a year I got to try them.

25. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

The purpose of hitting the pause button is to freeze the show/movie you're watching to get up and do something else. The last thing I want is to hit the pause button to field a call on my phone and have a commercial blaring in the background.

My wife watches Hulu much more than me, so I know she would be impacted more than I would. But it's still annoying nonetheless.