Hulu for iOS Gains Support for Offline Viewing

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hulu today updated its iOS app to add support for offline viewing for the first time, which will allow Hulu content to be downloaded so it can be viewed when you don't have an internet connection available for streaming.

Hulu rival Netflix has long offered offline viewing as an option, but until today, Hulu didn't offer the feature.

According to Hulu, downloading of offline content is available to subscribers of the more expensive ad-free Hulu plan. Those with the ad-supported Hulu plan will not be able to download shows for offline viewing as it would presumably be easier to skirt commercials.

Downloaded content can be accessed through a new Downloads tab in the Hulu app, and there's an option to "See What's Downloadable" to browse through available downloadable content.

Up to 25 titles can be downloaded across five different devices, and users will have 30 days to watch downloaded content. Content that's been watched will expire two days after playback has begun, and downloaded content can be renewed by accessing Hulu over an internet connection.

Downloadable shows are available on Hulu for iOS starting today, with an App Store update required.

Article Link: Hulu for iOS Gains Support for Offline Viewing

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
Nice.

Now what’s going on HBO? Or does the AT&T overlords think we are going to pay extra for HBO Max so we can download?

supremedesigner

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Gainesville, Fl
Of course they had to do that. I’m on ad-supported version. I don’t think this will fly because Disney+ will crush them if they include offline viewing on lower plan.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2009
Nice.

Now what’s going on HBO? Or does the AT&T overlords think we are going to pay extra for HBO Max so we can download?
I’d rather they start giving us 4K content. At the prices they charge, it should be a given.

I already get offline viewing through Apple anyways.

btrach144

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2015
Is offline viewing a server side feature that is slowly being rolled out? I installed today's update (6.3) on my iPhone running iOS 13.1.2 but I don't see anything about offline viewing. And I have Hulu LiveTV.

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was really looking forward to this, but I’m not paying the upgrade to remove ads so I guess I’ll just watch less TV. I download Netflix content to watch at lunch at work since the WiFi is slow. Have wished I could do this with shows released each week in Hulu, but oh well.