Hulu Introduces Support for 4K Streaming on Fifth-Generation Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:28 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Hulu today launched support for 4K streaming on the Apple TV 4K and Chromecast Ultra, after first removing 4K content from its service in the summer of 2018 (via The Streamable).

[​IMG]

With the return of the feature, and its new availability on Apple TV 4K, Hulu subscribers can now watch Hulu Originals like The Handmaid's Tale, Castle Rock, and Catch-22 in 4K.

According to The Streamable, Hulu shows in 4K stream at 16 Mbps and only support SDR, lacking HDR or Dolby Vision. At this time only Hulu Originals are available in 4K, but the company has said that more shows will gain the 4K treatment in the future.

Hulu also introduced a new guide for its live TV streaming service Hulu With Live TV (via Engadget). The new guide offers an extended look at what's coming up on every channel in the next two weeks, including which episodes are new and how long they last.

[​IMG]
    Image via Engadget

Earlier this year, Disney gained full operational control of Hulu in the wake of a deal made with Comcast. Disney has previously said that it plans to keep Hulu as it is and focus its own properties on the Disney+ streaming service. According to CEO Bob Iger, Disney's full ownership of Hulu will create an "even more compelling" service.

Article Link: Hulu Introduces Support for 4K Streaming on Fifth-Generation Apple TV

2. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

and have they fixed the 2 channel audio crap? I won't use the appletv app till I get 5.1 audio. I mean common. ps4 till its fixed for me.

3. raybo macrumors regular

4. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc

5. markm929 macrumors newbie

Maybe now that they have access to the Disney money vault, features will start to get added.

6. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

While Hulu is starting out with a few of their own shows supporting 4K, they're at least not up charging us consumers to access 4K content (although maybe they will down the line) unlike some streaming companies (*cough* Netflix).

7. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

Netflix and YouTube play 4K HDR fine on my LG UJ6200 (WebOS 3.5), why can't Hulu support more devices -_-

8. jasheeky macrumors member

Low bitrate 4K SDR lol. I’d rather have high bitrate 1080P HDR.

9. archer75 macrumors 68020

Well hopefully this update adds 5.1, can anyone test? They do have 5.1 on other platforms.
    Really want to see HDR, that's the real game changer.

10. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Seems pointless without HDR/DV. Even worse without 5.1

The average home doesn’t need 4K alone. Lots of bandwidth with little more to show for it. Sports might be he exception, but that does not seem to be a part of what they are offering.

This is marketing, pure and simple.

11. amcomis macrumors newbie

12. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I'm waiting for the first person to complain that they're only bring this to the fifth gen Apple TV (you know, the one with 4K support) :p

13. nutmac macrumors 601

Hopefully, this move will further pressure Netflix to offer UHD in lower priced tiers.

14. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Fine. I’ll be more excited when Apple introduces two-headphone Bluetooth support for a fifth-generation Apple TV.

15. deannnnn macrumors 68020

deannnnn

16. vipergts2207 macrumors 68020

vipergts2207

Exactly. While adding 4K isn't a bad thing, without HDR and/or 5.1 audio support, this update is supremely unexciting. Come on Hulu...

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Might as well stick to Hulu 1080P with that sorry 4K offering.

18. Wakey87433 macrumors member

Wakey87433

Netflix can’t afford to do that, they need everyone to be paying more to be financially viable and the extra 2 streams isn’t something that will get people to pay more, infact many will downgrade.

19. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

Amazon Prime on LG also supports 4K/HDR. Even the Plex client supports it!

20. stillcrazyman macrumors 68020

stillcrazyman

Hulu and their LiveTV service have no more value for me. Offering 4k on a few shows isn't going to entice me to stay.

Once I finish Handmaid's Tale, I'm cancelling for good.

21. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

I’m more concerned about any sort of exclusivity agreements e.g. 4K Hulu only on X device, 4K Netflix only on Y device, pay up.

22. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I never really thought of that, but I hope to god it doesn't come to that. But with all these streaming services popping up, it wouldn't surprise me.

23. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

If you can't afford the $3 or $7 dollars to upgrade to UHD, then maybe this a luxury you should bypass until you can.

24. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

Is there a way to know what is offered in 4K on Hulu? I don’t see any badge unlike Netflix.