Hulu+ invite

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by orlandocano, Jul 10, 2010.

1. orlandocano macrumors regular

I downloaded the hulu app the day it was released and have requested the invite to hulu+ through the app several times. I still haven't gotten the invite... Anybody else get an invite from hulu yet? If so, does it give you access to all of hulu+ content?

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I haven't heard of anyone receiving an invite yet. An invite should give you access to everything.

3. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I did mine over a week ago and have received nothing either, so no worries, bet their flooded.

4. AldoRay macrumors member

Ditto for me. Requested an invite twice now, so far nada.

5. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I think for right now they are mostly giving out invites to press. There are podcasts with people who have gotten their invites and they talked about getting "bumped up the list".

From what they said not all shows on the hulu website are on hulu+.

I hope this gets corrected. I was looking forward to hulu+. This is a bug step toward changing the television business.

6. ashVID macrumors regular

I'm using it. Technically, it's fantastic, far superior to the clunky Netflix app. Quality, even over 3G, is terrific on both iPhone and iPad. The major hurdle is not technical but must have to do with the "deals" in place for delivering mobile content. When I log in on my laptop, there are a ton more shows than when I log in on my mobile devices, that's a problem. I don't mind $10 a month, I don't mind the short form ads, but I DO mind missing a bunch of content, when, in theory, I'm paying for everything on hulu "plus" additional content not on the free site.

All that said, there are still some glitches. I don't get the whining about paying $10, that's how much one movie ticket costs and it has 15 minutes of "ads" at the beginning of it.

If DVDs were free for a year, then they decided it wasn't working so they needed to charge $2, many people would freak out. This isn't hulu, it's the writers, actors, producers, etc. who are demanding (rightfully so) more monetization of their creative property.

ash =o)

7. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

It's 100% Hulu's fault, don't kid yourself.
    Listen, we can argue all day about who deserves what and what is fair but all I, an iPad user, wants, is what I get online.
    If I missed last week's SNL or last night's Letterman's monologue, I should be able to go to Hulu, watch the same ads I would have watched from the broadcast and thats it.
    As simple as that.

If I want to watch an episode of the Office from 3 years ago, put that in the plus service.
    If I want to watch a bad Steven Seagal movie, put that in the plus service (better be commercial free).

Other then that, just give me Hulu. That is all I want.

8. ashVID macrumors regular

Let's say I have some unique knowledge in this area. Hulu is bound by their deals with networks. Networks are bound by their deals with producers and writers. Hulu does not have the final say in these matters as it is these deals that strictly prohibit the exhibition on mobile devices including phones. ABC can do it for their shows, their contracts cover these rights for their own branded properties. You'll see a CBS app soon for the same reason.

Many of the contracts specifically place the burden on hulu to restrict access to set top boxes and mobile devices. You can blame hulu if you choose but it is producers of "The Colbert Report" etc. who are making these decisions, not hulu.

ash =o)

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

10. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

I asked for an invite minutes after it was announced and nothing yet.

11. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Just got an invite, went to complete the form but they want ten bucks *right now*, up front, to even try the preview. If this was common knowledge I missed it. Eff that. Unfortunately I think the invite is tied to your account or I'd give mine away. (this is not entitlement, I get why they need to charge and are trying to find out what the market will bear, but I think a trial period or a few free eps are very much in order.)

12. Groovetopia macrumors newbie

I have no problem paying $10 for Hulu, but I do have a problem paying $10 and still having to view ads. With services like Netflix and even Tivo you pay your subscription rate and can acess ad free viewing. Why the double dipping here on Hulu's part?

13. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I wasn't one who complained about the pay model or gave them a one star rating out of spite, I just expected there to be an actual trial/preview period so I could see how the app performed.

14. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I got my invite, and signed up.....seriously its a great service for $10. ANd face it $10 is paultry. For what it offers its great. I like it....BTW viewed on my iP4 and iPad, just great!