Hulu/Netflix alternative for us UK iPad owners

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skate71290, Jul 26, 2010.

1. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

hey, i have my mind set on getting an iPad before i go back to university in September, just a quick question, are there any UK alternatives to Netflix or Hulu (as i am assuming they are both American-only)?

2. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

You can watch iplayer and I read on the BBC news app that they are making an app.

Also if you do want to watch iplayer go on the iplayer website and then make an icon of the page and then when you tap on that the web toolbar isn't there and it just looks nicer.

3. skate71290 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks i thought iPlayer on the BBC website was built on Flash, but i meant US TV Programmes, as i like to watch their CBS comedies and FOX's American Dad, Family Guy and The Cleveland Show and others lol, i love American TV, so much better than British TV (IMO)

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Currently no sites do what you're after. However, bitorrent the day after viewing is always a good bet….

5. skate71290 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm no stranger to BitTorrent, believe me :p

6. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Remember theirs also tvcatup, which is better on the iPad then desktop, mainly because the channel selection page on the iPad shows the current shows playing.

7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I'm looking for something like this also. Maybe theres an app for jailbroken ipads which allows us brits to watch USA stuff?

8. magga macrumors regular

9. shotts56 macrumors 6502

There is a website called iphone skinns ca (or something like that - google it), which provides streaming links to a number of tv programmes & movies on the iphone. Works well, but I wouldn't bet much on it being very legal.

10. ibookster macrumors member

11. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

Getting the Netflix (and Hulu, for that matter) apps is easy enough. Setting up an account is easy enough, but what is proving impossible for me (in the UK) is setting up a payment method.

I have tried all 6 of my credit cards, and always get an error along the lines of, "address mis-match", as the US address I had to use for setting up the Netflix account does not match the credit card address.

I have yet to find a way around this.

12. ibookster macrumors member

Hmm that is weird. Are you sure your US address is valid? I don't know if they have changed the sign up process since I signed up but I haven't heard anything about it. Can any one else confirm this?

13. oskin macrumors newbie

I found a method is which working well for me in Canada. I imagine it will work in UK as well.

Basically, you will need a Virtual Prepaid U.S. credit card and a proxy service to allow you to sign up and watch Netflix outside USA.

More details from this blog http://www.unotelly.com/blog/?p=72