Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojoxp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2006
Haven't seen this covered anywhere, but there's a qwerk in iOS 4.3 that lets you play Hulu Plus over AirPlay. To do it, you need to start a video playing in some other AirPlay enabled app, say for example YouTube. Get the video playing over AirPlay so that it displays on the AppleTV. Now open up the Hulu Plus app and start playing a show; it'll automatically start playing the video on the last known destination, which in this case is the AppleTV.

It's clearly not supported by the Hulu app yet, but the API gets tricked on the backside.

Last edited:

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Haven't seen this covered anywhere, but there's a qwerk in iOS 4.3 that lets you play Hulu Plus over AirPlay. To do it, you need to start a video playing in some other AirPlay enabled app, say for example YouTube. Get the video playing over AirPlay so that it displays on the AppleTV. Now open up the Hulu Plus app and start playing a show; it'll automatically start playing the video on the last known destination, which in this case is the AppleTV.

It's clearly not supported by the Hulu app yet, but the API gets tricked on the backside.

interesting bug, I had to read it twice to understand, but interesting. you would think the software testers would have had that use case....

mojoxp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2006
interesting bug, I had to read it twice to understand, but interesting. you would think the software testers would have had that use case....

A better summary would be that if you start playing a video in any application (regardless of AirPlay support), it will start playing on the last device used for playback in any other application.

To get Hulu working:
1. Open up the YouTube App
2. Play any video
3. Click the "AirPlay" icon and select your Apple TV
4. Verify that the video starts playing on your Apple TV
5. Open up the Hulu Plus App
6. Play any video
7. The Hulu app will display a "Loading Video" screen and the video will start playing on your Apple TV. You won't have any control over the video, but it will play (unfortunately, Advertisements play as well).

guzzlamiamor

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
I noticed this last night as well. I started playing an album using the ipad music player and then switched to Pandora. The Pandora feed was playing over the tv but apple tv thought it was still the album (as evidenced by the cover that stayed on the screen). This is not huge because Pandora works over airplay regardless, but it does highlight this bug.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I am almost certain EyeTV will be updated to enable Airplay and probably in the next update. There is no reason for them not to, no 3rd parties they have to get permission with, and its a perfect use case for video Airplay.

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Im receiving an error message also. Maybe the 'fixed' this bug? That or only some videos on Hulu Plus are airplay compatible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.