Hulu Plus drops their price today

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by thuff59, Nov 17, 2010.

1. thuff59 macrumors member

thuff59

Just received an email from Hulu Plus this morning concerning a price drop. Now it cost $7.99/month. Do you think more people will now subscribe to this service? In addition, they have officially launched their Hulu Plus services.

2. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

2 bucks isn't a whole lot. I've used it for 2 months before I cancelled. I realized Netflix has as much TV as they do, just different. Depends on what you like. I liked the TV programming on Netflix and of course movies, so I made my decision.

Now Hulu plus has good quality and does a nice job but 7.99 is still a bit too much IMO. I'm thinking 4.99 should be max price point.

3. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I would be all in if it were at a $4.99 price point myself.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I won't pay to see ads. Ever. This is where Hulu has jumped the shark for many.

Netflix streaming is great - good quality, reasonable selection (admittedly with less recent content but I'm OK with that) and no bloody ads.

5. robertpetry macrumors 6502

I really like the way the ABC video app works. Yes there are ads but the whole season of most of their current shows can be streamed.

If Hulu gave us a free version I would be in. At $4.99 w/out commercials I would probably be in. At $7.99 with commercials? No thanks. I have plenty to watch.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, what bugs me the most is the comercial on the paid side, they are charging $8 for the "right" to use it on the devices I own, which to me is a bit too much.

I got a MacMini hook up to my TV and that's how I enjoy Hulu for Free, the Only annoying part is switching between the xbox, the PS3 and the Computer (and now the ATV2) which isn't really such a big deal. (Or course of you count the cost of the mini, $96 a year don't sound bad, but i got it as gift and got no other use for it)

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

What I don't understand about Hulu Plus is a lot of their content is on regular Hulu, but not on Hulu Plus.

One would assume Hulu Plus would be all of the Hulu content plus additional content for subscribers, but that's not the way it works.

At $4.99, I would have considered it. At $7.99, no thanks. I hope Netflix doesn't increase their fees because at $9.99. It's fantastic.

8. RedRobotWeb macrumors newbie

I'm still not touching Hulu. Too many commercials for the price.

9. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

It has to do with broadcast licensing. Not all the Hulu content is licensed for portable devices and Hulu hasn't been able to work out deals yet on the content. I hate that a lot of the SyFy and BBC America content is missing.

10. Pinger macrumors regular

Agreed!! there is plenty enough on Netflix without paying for a service and still be bombarded with commercials.. Well, if they went as low as $1-$2 a month with commercials I might go for it..

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Do you have cable?

12. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I have Hulu Plus and it's amazing. I have it for my iPad and Roku. I can watch new shows 1-day after they are on my TV in very high quality and also watch them on my iPad while I'm at the gym and have the iPad in front of me. Excellent time waster. At $2/week, it's worth it for me at the amount of content that they have per week.

13. herbiehancock00 macrumors member

Here is a service that is much better than cable at a much cheaper price and you people still complain. :confused:

14. brucem91 macrumors 6502

-Precisely. TV sure ain't $8, and I see a crap ton of commercials, on average about 4-5 during breaks. I think hulu is what, normally 1, with 2 popping up?

15. Pinger macrumors regular

I'm not one to defend cable tv but Hulu is much better then cable? It is cheaper I agree..

16. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Agreed. And, I really wish there was an ABC app for the iPhone too (like the one for the iPad).

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Initially I agree with you, but...

You bought a TV right?

A lot of cable channels now run ads, have you dropped your cable TV?

18. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I would if the channels I paid extra for (HBO, etc.) starting interrupting their content with ads. That's the key. You either pay extra to avoid ads, or you pay the standard rate to get ad-supported content, but you don't do both.

This Hulu product is dead in the water until they figure out which model they want to use:

1. Pay extra, no ads.
    2. Free, ads.

What they chose instead was Pay extra, ads, and that's so brain dead it's boggling. I won't touch it until they fix this.

19. anjinha, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

But with cable you pay for ads and then pay extra for no ads.

With Hulu Plus you pay for ads and it's still a lot less than cable.

20. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Why would you need an ATV2 if you have a Mac Mini hooked up?

21. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Hulu puts the ads where the regular commercial breaks would be so it's not like they're just cutting off the TV show in mid sentence. 30 second ad to support the costs of actually having Hulu up is nothing. I don't know why people are making such a big deal over $2/week for being able to play Hulu Plus on your TV through a box or on your iPads. I think it's very reasonable. I love being able to watch Hulu while at the gym. I have so many shows to see so it keeps me well entertained while on the elliptical.