Hulu problem (Safari, App, and Firefox)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Jul 1, 2009.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

So here's something weird that I am running into. I can't watch Hulu videos unless I do a restart to my computer and reset the PRAM. This happens every single time. If I am continuously watching them I am fine, but if I stop close out safari, firefox, or the desktop app, then I am unable to watch the videos again until I restart with the PRAM reset.

I imagine this is my computer. I can't take my computer in because Apple already said they won't do anything to my computer unless I do a clean install first.

Any suggestions or thoughts? When you play the Hulu videos you get a add at the very beginning saying, "this program was brought to you by..." After it does that the browser or program will freeze with 1 second or 0 seconds left. I then have to force quit because I get the spinning wheel.

EDIT: I have reinstalled Flash 10 and it installed perfectly. I reinstalled Shockwave and I got some weird error. Perhaps this is it?

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Try signing up and downloading boxee www.boxee.tv its free and seems to handle video better than my browser.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

things to try

update flash if necessary
    reset safari
    clear cookies and caches of firefox
    clean system with OnyX
    check and repair disk

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

- - - Resinstalled Flash again. Says everything okay.
    - - - Reset safari, but now if I try opening Safari it becomes unresponsive. (Have to type this in Firefox)
    - - - Cleared cookies and cache on firefox. Still nothing.
    - - - I will clean my system with OnyX, but I did this about a month ago, so I can't see it making much of a difference.
    - - - I will check and repair disk, but again I did this about a month ago because I was trying to figure out why my computer took and still takes 5 minutes to become functional on a restart.

I should also note that Firefox and Safari crash if I open too many tabs. To many tabs being 1 or 2.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, how much RAM do you have?

last thing to try

try a new firefox profile. If that doesn't solve your problem, I think it would be pretty safe to blame your hardware or OS. in which case, maybe indeed you need a clean installation of the system...

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Do you have to reset the PRAM in order for it to work or can you just restart?

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Like a new User in OS X? I really hope its not a clean install... I may just have to bight the bullet though..

My computer stats:

17" 2.33 C2D MBP
    2GB of ram
    160 GB hard drive.

I have to restart the computer 50% of the time the other time it's the PRAM while I restart.

- - - -

Any suggestion on how I can get safari to work again? It won't work at all now that I've reset it... I like using Safari better than Firefox, and would like to get back to using it if possible. Redownload?

Also perhaps this is part of the problem: My hard drive always sounds like it's writing data. I mean write now it sounds like I am saving rendering video files in FCP and photoshoping at the same time. I hear this noise more than I don't.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it does sounds like your system is pretty messed up, i would bite the bullet if I were you, before losing any important stuff on the computer.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Now that I think about it... around 3 months ago all of a sudden I couldn't stream any flash/java related videos over the net. The short add would play and then it would just hand and never start the video. I did the exact same thing - reinstalled flash like twenty times and was about ready to kill hulu, cbs, abc ...

Problem is, I can't remember what the hell I did to fix it - lots of help right!?!?

I remember there was a setting that was blocking flash from playing either in the router settings or from little snitch or some other security program I was trying out. There was nothing wrong with the browser or the computer.

I'll keep trying to remember and ask my wife once she gets home and see if she remembers what the hell I did.:p

EDIT:Wife can't remember what I did either. But I'm pretty sure it was a security setting that I turned on within the modem/router I was using at the time. I've gotten rid of it since and that's probably why I can't find the setting any more.