Hulu+ Users..How are you liking it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Syk, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Syk macrumors 6502a

So how is hulu + going for you guys that have got your invite. I was hesitant about paying $10 but decided to download the app and looked at the free gallery stuff and the quality was pretty good over 3G.

Went ahead and requested an invite so I have to wait till I get that before I can view other content.

Do you feel it's worth the $10? I was hoping they would have a free trial like Netflix does.

I was debating on this or Netflix but they haven't released their app yet. They would have newer movies but not sure what their streaming tv show section is like. I wouldn't use the DVD mailing.

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

They will eventually have their free trial when they release it to everybody.

3. besnfrd macrumors member

besnfrd

It's cool to have your favorite shows on your mobile. I also like the PS3 version.

4. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I got an invite but can't justify $10 a month for it. I wish I could pre-cache shows to watch on the subway or bus. Otherwise this thing is pretty useless to me.

5. Syk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems like it would be free during the invite process and then charge when they open it to all..

The $10 is what I'm debating on. Been using hulu for free on my laptop for so long I've become spoiled. I wouldn't mind being able to watch it on my PS3 though.

What would be killer is if your cable company had an app that could stream your services also other than buying a slingbox.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

That'll never happen.

On topic, I love the app and the program. All of my fav shows are now at my fingertips. I get good quality over 3G and Wifi. The app itself is buggy, and expected it to be updated when it's all official. However its an easy app to use, and I enjoy it. Will I keep the service once Netflix makes their iPhone app, maybe not, but for now glad I dropped the 9.99 for the one month!

7. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

And that's why I can not justify this. The only place where I (and probably many other city-dwellers) is on our commutes to kill time. Not trying to knock the service/app, just saying whats holding me and probably many other people back.

8. Syk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you currently have a netflix account? What do they offer streaming. I tried to look on their website and see what they had. I think hulu may have them beat tv show wise and netflix has the better movie streaming

9. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

netflix is awesome. I have the 2 disc a month deal and use the stream for my PS3. The movie selection is pretty good and for me the TV selection is good as well. They have The Office and Lost, my 2 favorite shows. Hulu probably has them beat show wise though. I guess it just all depends on if youd rather watch a movie or a tv show. If you say movie id go netflix. Show Id go Hulu.

10. Syk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think one of the things holding people back is the price. They're charging more than Netflix and hulu is free to use on your PC.

I don't see why they don't offer a tiered plan, the free get's you the ads like a PC and the same online content that's available for free now. The paid, get's you an ad at the beginning of the program and that's it and all the additional content like full seasons or even more movies than the free.

I'd use it even at work. Even if I don't watch it I could listen to a show like Family Guy or something while I'm at my desk. Yes I could use the company network to watch/listen to streaming but I rather do it over 3G and keep what I'm doing off the companies bandwidth.

11. Centient macrumors 6502

I applied for an invite almost a month ago and finally got one this weekend. FWIW I own and i4 and PS3. Not sure if that factors into Hulu's decision when it comes to 'gracing' people with a $10 preview.

Anyway. It's actually a pretty decent little app. It's quick, UI is pretty spartan, but well thought out. Haven't had one freeze, drop, etc... over my wi-fi network at home. Many of the shows have the entire season or even series run to flip through. Especially true for the older shows available.

Coolest feature I've found is that it automatically picks up where you left on a show. Even between devices. Was watching X-Files on PS3 last night, went to bed to finish the episode on the i4 figuring I'd have to cycle through to where I was before turning the machine off. Nope, it picked up immediately where I left off. Pretty awesome.

Downfalls are well documented by now. It's $10 a month. Some, but not all shows still have commercials. It seems there are more commercial interruptions than on the free version, but haven't tested that to be sure. For a Plus version you'd think they'd have more shows available, but the selection is pretty sparse at this time. The movie selection is awful. Though if you're a Zaotoichi fan you'll be pleased. ;)

So is it worth $10? At this time that's questionable. I think $10 is worth it to give it a test drive, but I suspect lots of folks won't be renewing for more than a month or two if Hulu doesn't expand the library significantly soon.

12. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I completely agree. A tiered system would be great to have. I don't currently pay to use Hulu, so why would I pay to watch it on a smaller screen? I'd be fine with the current free content. I also think that asking people for $10 during the "invite" stage was a mistake. Those with invites should have gotten free access, and Hulu should have started charging after the preview period was over.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I tried the free part of it while I had my 4, but now that I'm back on my 313 3GS I can't use it. What I did notice was that it doesn't support fast app switching well at all. If its play and I switch to another app, when I returned it started the stream over and not where i was.

Has that been fixed?

14. Centient macrumors 6502

Just tested it. Switched Hulu to Facebook back to Hulu and it picked up where I left off. Just one test though. I'll run it through the paces when I get home and see if it works consistently.

15. Syk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll have to wait till a netflix app is released to be able to fully test and determine which I'd use more.

16. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

It's only $10 bucks...

Though it's stupid that there are still ads despite paying. I can see a free model with limited selection and ads similar to what is currently on Hulu being offered eventually though.

17. ryanbates macrumors regular

ryanbates

I managed to get an invite and I love the service, unfortunately alot of the shows I watch havent started their new seasons yet, so I don't have much use for the app currently. I do like that you can go back and watch back episodes. Haven't quite decided if I want to keep the service, but I like what I see so far.

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I have yet to see and ad displayed on any TV show I have viewed via Hulu+. I only see one 5 second clip upfront promoting the show and channel. So theres no ad's if you pay so far, it may change but as of now I have no ads!

19. timerollson macrumors 65816

I hate the ads but I do love that entire series are on there that I'm interested in.

Now, I just need the time to actually watch them lol.:rolleyes:

20. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I don't mind the price tag that much, it's the limited functionality in my case that's stopping me from making use of this. The price is fair for what basically amounts to a giant back-catalog of on-demand TV. The full series of X-Files alone would make this worth it for me.

Problem is watching it. I like my X-Files (and other shows) but am I really going to sit and home and watch it on my PS3? Probably not. The one time I could see myself re-watching older shows is during downtime, like when sitting in the subway for an hour each way to and from work. That's time I don't get back so I better make use of it. It would be nice if I could pre-cache a few episodes and watch them without an internet connection. Not asking to have the ads removed and I would even understand ridiculous restrictions such as being able to only have one or two shows "out" at a time. A little extra functionality like this would seal the deal for me.

21. Syk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still haven't received my hulu+ invite. I did the Netflix hack for the iPhone, signed up for the FREE two week trial and requested the PS3 disc late last week.

I am very impressed with the streaming selection, tons of movies and tv shows. I think I may even watch Firefly LOL. Watching some movies I haven't seen. I haven't requested any DVD's yet but I'll definite be signing up for this when my two weeks are up.

Sorry Hulu you took too long for the invite and even then there was no free preview.