Hulu's Live TV Service Could Launch in Early May

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hulu's upcoming live streaming television service could launch as soon as early May, reports TechCrunch. Hulu has already confirmed the service will launch in the spring, but has not given a more specific public launch date.

Internally, the company is said to be telling employees that the first week of May is being targeted for launch, but TechCrunch says this is a rolling target date that could shift to later in May if necessary.

Despite the internal communication - which we've seen - claiming the "first week of May" launch, we've also heard that the chatter among employees is that consumers will likely get the service around mid-May. In addition, other sources familiar with Hulu's launch plans have confirmed that mid-May is just as likely as earlier in the month. It could even end up being the third week.

In other words, "mid-May" doesn't translate to a May 15th launch.

However, the month of May - in general - is definitely a go.
The official launch date of the service is perhaps dependent on an ongoing beta testing period that the company is using to garner feedback from users and eliminate bugs.

Rumors suggest Hulu plans to price its upcoming television service at $39.99 per month, with an add-on cloud DVR service that could cost an additional $20 per month for "unlimited" storage capped at 200 hours of programming.

Hulu is said to be planning to allow concurrent devices on up to three devices in the same home, and channels will include content from CBS, 21st Century Fox, ESPN, and Disney. Many details of Hulu's upcoming service remain a mystery, including whether or not the company will offer multiple packages like DirecTV Now, but its TV package is "comparable" to rival services.

Hulu's streaming service will offer a mix of live TV and on-demand content, something that will make the service unique among its peers.

Article Link: Hulu's Live TV Service Could Launch in Early May

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
It looks like most of these cordcutter packages, saved for Sling perhaps, start at $35-40. Coincidentally, Comcast's cable TV package starts at $40, too.

So I am not sure what the net gain is.

Reactions: _techquest

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
It looks like most of these cordcutter packages, saved for Sling perhaps, start at $35-40. Coincidentally, Comcast's cable TV package starts at $40, too.

It appears their Live TV Package will also include their regular service as well. So if you already get Hulu then it really starts is $32 to add the Live TV Package.

mandrake2016

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2016

You might get an introductory price of $40 if you bundle, and then they screw you by selectively leaving out common channels, and no easy way to browse only what you pay for.

Any of their half decent regular TV plans at regular price start at like $70. Not to mention X1 interface is slow as hell and buggy.

I'm actually looking forward to checking out Hulu TV. I just bought a TiVo to dump Comcast, and I'd love to have a one device / one remote solution. TiVo has a limited number of apps in addition to the built in DVR and excellent, snappy OTA channel guide, and one click commercial skip.

They support Hulu, Netflix, Plex, Amazon Video and some lesser known apps, but with Hulu TV I'll be able to even skip the Roku.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Just dumped Verizon Fios cable service. Went to internet only. From $185 a month (nearly $50 of that was just for their ****** hardware, boxes, rental for modem). Now I pay $75 a month for 100/100 Fios Internet. Got in on the DirecTV Now $35 promo a few months back for live tv and all that. Decent deal all around and it suites our needs. Have netflix, prime and HBO, so all bases covered.

Hulu is ok. Not sure I would switch to it honestly.

valleian

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Currently I have DirecTV Now, we cut the cord a couple months back a bit after it launched, and despite some moderate hiccups in the beginning, it works pretty darn well now and we have the lifetime $35/month. It's way cheaper with this and the cable company internet now.

I've always been interested in Hulu, but never enough to actually pay for it. If they offer more channels for about the same, as well as their current service bundled with that, I might take a look. They'd have to do something pretty enticing to get my to walk from DirecTV Now.

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC

No contract and most likely only the channels you want to watch, instead of 200 channels of
which you only watch 20. No set top box fee and the ability to use that set top box for
other entertainment.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Better hardware/software and No equipment rental fees. Easy and Reliable performance and feature updates.

Reactions: Chocolatemilty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.