Hulu's New 'Pause Ad' Experience Coming Q2 2019, Will Not Play Audio/Video Every Time You Pause

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Mackinjosh macrumors 65816

Are these in addition to the other ads or replacing them? If these replace the mandatory video ads, that would be great. But if it's just additional advertising, I'll continue to not subscribe to Hulu.

2. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

I'm still waiting for the month to roll over so I can sign up for the $5.99 hulu. I keep checking.

3. glowplug macrumors member

glowplug

The odds of me signing up for Hulu just dropped from .001 to .0001

4. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Paying $45/month for Live TV and now have to deal with banner ads, just what I wanted!

Actually my pi-hole blocks most of the streaming ads, so not an issue for me.

5. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

This is what happens when people rush to comment before reading and understanding the story they’re commenting on.

[​IMG]

6. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

To be fair, that does sound sensible and unobtrusive, until you object to the brands that come up I guess.

Roll on HomeKit TVs that we can program to switch off whenever we press pause...

7. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

8. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

I love Hulu streaming and ad free service. (Am I the only one?) Cut the cable years ago and love the flexibility of watching series w/o ads and also get a good deal of local and premium channels for equivalent of what I used to pay for cable. I don’t miss cable boxes, box “fees”, extra taxes, bundles with home phone service bs bs

9. T Coma macrumors 6502

T Coma

Who cares? If I'm watching a movie, the only time I'm hitting pause is to refill my glass or to relieve the results thereof. They can put anything on the screen they want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

And someone that hits pause to look at something on the screen?

11. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Meh. I pause a video and leave the room. They can show as many ads as they want when i am not there. lmao!

12. Ronlap macrumors regular

Ronlap

I bought a Sidekick for my Apple TV remote just to be able to have a mute button for the garbage that Netflix runs when you are trying to search for something to watch. Guess I have another use for it now.

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

What's that other use for it now?

14. 827538 macrumors 65816

I don't know where you live but I can fully attest for the fact in both the UK and US homes in which I live they both receive HD broadcasts (720p, 1080i, 1080p depending on the channels) with less compression than I get over cable (excluding a tiny number of 4k channels).

On the US side of things we get Fox, NBC, PBS, ABC, CBS all in HD. UK side we get BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC 4, BBC News, ITV, Channel 4, RT all in HD. Plus some random channels that we would never watch and I can't think to mention.

Honestly, throwing up a $100 antenna connected to a new TV with the appropriate digital tuner is great. I barely watch live TV but it's nice getting it all for free.

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

As I mentioned, if those channels are enough, then it's definitely a good way to go about it. For some it is, and that's good, but for many others those channels don't really cut it as they are looking for other shows/content that isn't on those few broadcast or local channels.

As far as HD goes, while it's fairly established now, around a decade ago and certainly for quite a while before then it wasn't that much of an option as far as over the air goes, which is certainly why many have been with cable/satellite before.