iPad mini Humble Pie... a true story

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blergh!, Nov 2, 2012.

1. blergh! macrumors newbie

Well dear readers...

After my rant about the price of an iPad mini and my perceived rip-off that the price and specs represent, I decided to head to a store to buy a Nexus 7. Here's where the fun begins...

In the store (I won't mention it's name for fear of defmamation but it's a large electronics retailer in the UK) all the models of tablets were on display and powered up for demonstration... except the Nexus. I asked the assistant to switch it on for me but after six attempts he couldn't get it to connect to the store wifi. Another assistant was called and they eventually managed to log the thing in. Even after that, the device had a weak signal and loading any content let alone looking at the way the machine operates was completely unthrilling. I left the shop empty handed.

Today I popped into my local apple store just out of curiosity.

I left with a black iPad mini and here's my honest, warts and all review from a previous devoted doubter...

It is glorious. The screen is crisp and clear despite what people are saying about it in comparison with the retina model. It is fast, no lag whatsoever and after playing graphics heavy games like Infinity Blade and Real Racer it is not disappointing in the slightest.

On top of that I am relieved that "it just works". Seamless set-up and icloud integration as usual with apple products and very good wifi signal on my sometimes patchy router at home.

I would recommend this little beauty to anyone!

2. Techwriter macrumors regular

It takes a big person to admit when he/she is wrong (especially here). jk.

I hope you enjoy it! I can't wait for the UPS truck to arrive.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Congrats on your purchase! I truly think that the overwhelming majority of iPad Mini buyers will love them, and it's good to see that you, predisposed not to, do as well.

Side note: I think that store Nexus 7 was defective. Mine is actually better than my iPhone 4s at picking up WiFi signals.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Cool story, bro. Really. I need to play with one myself too to decide. I want the size but the pixely display stories have turned me away.

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

i hate how they call it mini, implying it's just a smaller iPad

they should've just called it 7.9" iPad like the MacBook sizes

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

OP's Humble Pie

Glad you came back here to report. I'm sure there are others that shared your previous opinion but not sure how many of them are "big" enough to come back and say what you did. Glad that you are enjoying your new iPad Mini! :)

On your "it just works" comment. That has been my experience with Apple products since the Apple II (yeah, I had one of those).

7. blergh! thread starter macrumors newbie

Hope yours gives you as much pleasure. You won't be disappointed!

8. craftytony macrumors regular

craftytony

Still debating on wether to buy one for my wife or not........i'm gonna have to go take a look in person

9. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Call iTouch Jumbo.

10. blergh! thread starter macrumors newbie

Even holding it very close I see no pixels. Ignore them.

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Getting out my microscope to find those pixels. LOL ;)
    I'm very pleased with my iPad Mini screen :)

12. hyteckit Guest

Could be. But then again it could be the Android OS.

I just upgraded my Acer Iconia to ICS. It's giving me all sorts of crazy problems.

I'm stand like 6 ft from my Cisco wifi router. I get full bars.
    However, after my iconia goes to sleep and wakes up, I can't get more than 1 tiny bar. Says signal is weak.

Had to reboot the damn thing and suddenly my signal is full bar and strong again. Goes to sleep, wakes up. Signal is weak again.

Argh!

----------

You probably won't notice them until you read text.

Retina makes a different when it comes to text.

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Trying the Mini in BB this morning I agree that it's a beautiful device, but ultimately decided to keep the iPad 4 being delivered later today. The screen was not bad, but pixels were definitely visible. It's a slight improvement over my iPad 1, but not huge. My main fear was that with the reduced specs, I'd be repeating my experience with the first iPad where after the first few months it was never really fast enough to be pleasurable to use. I'm going for the 4 not just for the screen but for the whole package.

Anyhow, I agree with you about the competing devices - I've now tried 2 different Microsoft tablets on two different days at two different stores; both have had complete lock ups or OEM programs that would not launch. One was RT, one was full Windows. The salesperson looking over my shoulder said that this happens all the time with the display models. Meanwhile the iPad 2 and 3 on display which were completely trashed from over-use worked flawlessly.

14. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

Was not going to get one but went to store lunch time and fell in love with the black mini on which I am typing. All the guys at work loved it too and several said they would be off to get one for Christmas presents etc. Its easy to type on and the resolution is not too bad at all.

I am really happy.

15. blergh! thread starter macrumors newbie

... whereas at the apple store. No pressure, informed staff and plenty of them. Glad they got rid of the guy who wanted to make staff cutbacks.

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's more likely it's that particular device. JB 4.1.x is quite stable.

17. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Actually the N7 that I picked up this AM gets great wifi in my home. Haven't had any issues with the signal or speed of the internet.

18. hyteckit Guest

Speaking of Microsoft tablet.

Microsoft tablet screen has even lower ppi than iPad mini.

10.6" at 1366 x 768, making it only 148 ppi.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Question about your Mini: how dim can you make it? One of my issues with the 7 is that, unless I use a 3rd party app (Lux), the range between "dimmest" and "brightest" is extraordinarily narrow, which is a real issue when using it in a dark room.

21. hyteckit Guest

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw