Humidity Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Samuelpack, May 11, 2018.

1. Samuelpack macrumors newbie

Samuelpack

Hi everyone!

I am in major need of advice. I’m having an absolute nightmare with my MacBook Air 2013 model, I’m currently in Rhodes, Greece. My room currently sits around 25 degrees but the humidity is fluxtuating between 60-80%. Some days I open my MacBook and it’s powering up completely fine but then other days it’s just completely dead. I then can’t switch it on for around 3-4 days when it then decides to randomly boot. I have tried SMC and all other forceable boots but it’s just not working. I have been leaving my MacBook in rice hoping that it obsorbs the wetness in the air around it but I’m really becoming desperate as I’m worried it’s just going to refuse to turn on in the end. Any suggestions?

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Rice isn't going to do anything for you.

As for your power issues, I surmise that something else is going on. I live in Italy and our temps and humidity have been the same and we have had no issues with our Macbook.

You sure nothing was spilled in it?

3. Samuelpack thread starter macrumors newbie

Samuelpack

Not to my knowledge? It’s never done this before in the Uk? Only since I’ve been here...

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

Weird...

Is it only happening on battery power, or is it happening when plugged in? If it is plugged in, are you seeing the little green light on the connector?

If this is happening when plugged in, you might try a different plug and if you are using an adapter (UK to Greece), you might try swapping that out as well.

5. Samuelpack thread starter macrumors newbie

Samuelpack

It’s only happened on battery power, I don’t leave my mac on constant charge...
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2018 ---
    When it does it I have plugged the charger in, in the past and it turns green instantly. However, sometimes the light doesn’t come on at all, just stays blank.

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

Well, your battery is 5+ years old at this point. It may simply be time for a replacement. You might get Coconut Battery and see what the health of it is. My guess is that it is time for a new one.

7. Samuelpack thread starter macrumors newbie

Samuelpack

That’s a great idea, I didn’t think of that. Thank you :)

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

Good luck!

9. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

That sounds uncomfortable.

Could you try a dehumidifier?

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

LOL, while it is, you tend to get used to it. ;) My office sits at 25 Celsius with about 72% humidity.

11. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

It might be causing issues with your MBA.

Especially if your MBA is in a cool air conditioned room, and then go to an environment like your office. Condensation might be causing the issues.

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

My Macbook runs fine and his is 5 years old. My guess is his battery is just toast. ;)

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I am currently living and working in an environment notorious for its exceptional humidity and my MBA is entirely unaffected by this.

I was about to ask the OP what reason he had for thinking that this was caused by humidity (which I doubt) when @daflake came up with a much more plausible explanation for the state of the computer.

14. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Try this: remove the bottom casing, disconnect the battery from the motherboard, and connect the charger. Don't touch the machine as it should power up by itself. It will be running slow and hopefully, everything works properly including shut down and power up with the battery. If this is the case, the machine probably needs a new battery. If not, there is something else happening.

While you have the bottom casing off, look for any signs of corrosion on the logic board.

15. Dszenczy macrumors newbie

I have this same issue. Just moved to a house close to the beach, and the humidity and salt air are definitely the cause. Every time I bring the MacBook into the Apple store it starts working again because of the AC and low humidity.They checked it out and everything hardware is perfectly fine with no water damage whatsoever. It is a shame Apple has no resolution and are not even aware of this issue. My only option is to buy a new laptop and hope the newer MacBooks don’t have this issue.

16. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

17. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Hee-hee, you sweet summer children. Feel free to join me in Florida, land of 30C @ 90% humidity for seven months out of the year!

And for the record, my Macs work fine :)

18. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Same here and I’m often outside working via WiFi. Humidity is probably not the OPs issue.

19. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

It probably isn't, but there is a operating range for humidity for Macs. The max is 90% I think.

I was thinking that if the Mac was being stored in a cool air conditioned room, then being used in a hot place with high humidity, the condensation might cause a problem. Similar to the way that cold sunglasses fog up outside.

Inside your home?