Humming on Uni MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Mar 18, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I basically leave my MBP on 24/7, I just find it more convenient, and often I will render something over night. I've started to notice that occasionally if I leave my computer on for a few days, I hear a fairly loud humming noise. The only way to make it turn off is to restart the mac and then it will go away for a few more days. Does anyone know what may be causing the noise?

Also is it bad for the hdds if I put my Mac to sleep and wake it up a lot? Usually when I move it from room to room I just close the lid, but then 30 sec later or so I'll just re-open it, is that bad to keep doing that?

Thanks for help.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

There is not really any damage to the hard drive, but be careful about moving it before the white light pulses to indicate sleep, as when the light is solid, the drive is still spinning, and it will most likely corrupt some data on the drive. :( And the humming is just the fans revving and the sound that ball bearings make when tortured.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if its humming after a couple of days i would take it back. i've had mine for 6 days now and have not turned it off yet and there is no humming. i kept my iBook on all the time practically and it never had a problem.

some may say its not worth it to take it in but you never know. it may lead to a bigger problem down the road.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Update:

I unplugged my AC Adapter, and then the noise got softer, and softer, and then it died completely........So is it a faulty AC adapter?

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

tell me if this isnt right.

you plugged in you AC adaptor and the sound went away and you want to replace you AC adaptor?! it sounds like it is what fixed the problem!!

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

No when I unplugged the AC adapter the sound went away.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

woah sorry im kind of dyslexic. then yea try replacing it. but before you do, do you know anyone else that has the same AC adaptor? you could swap with them and see if the problem comes back with their's

8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I'm the only one I know with a Mac. All my friends and family mock me for having it. :)......suckers.....

Would the Apple Store replace it for free do you think, and is the humming potentially bad, or could I keep it if Apple doesn't give me a new one for free?

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

to be honest i never know what those "Geniuses" are going to do. i think they should. it may be a matter of how long ago you bought it. if its less then 14 then they definitely will. after that they STILL should. good luck

10. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I bought it from eBay about 2 months ago, and it was brand new in-box. I think I'll go there this weekend then though.

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

So does anyone know if the humming would be bad?

I'm afraid to plug my MBP in now :)

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well my guess would be is that if the power supply is faulty its giving too much power (if it wasent giving enough the computer wouldnt stay on haha). it could just be the fans running at a high rpm.

13. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I don't think its the fans because when I unplug the AC adapter the sound goes away....

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well the other moving part in the computer is the Hard Drive. thats the only other thing i think it could be. the power supply isnt making the humming is it? haha

15. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I suppose so....

I have a question, do I need to schedule a genius appointment, or can I just walk right in and ask someone about it?

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

they make it pretty easy to schedule you can do it right online

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

but its not required.

17. emt1 macrumors 65816

Uh, actually it is required. You can do it in store but you aren't guaranteed to be seen that same day.

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

so therefore its not required. i've walked in a couple times without an appointment and didnt have to wait more than 15 or 20 mins. but like i said its really easy to make an appointment so might as well.

19. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I made an appointment for 8:20PM (Central) tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. :)

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

goodluck.

im interested in seeing what they say.

21. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

So I just came back, they gave me a new power supply and said if I continued having problems, that I should bring the Mac back and they'd take it to get it fixed.

I also asked an Apple employee about the 17" graphics issue, and he said in a few weeks they're gonna tell everyone what's going on and what they're gonna do.

22. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

haha but until then it's a secret!!!

glad you got the power supply taken care of. hope it works for you.