Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I just noticed the available space on my hard disk went from about 10-15 gigs recently to about 4 or 5 just now.

Just installed a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus (Mac mini, running Tiger).

Ran Grand Perspective to find where the space went.

asl.log was over 2.7 gigs. asl.log.56 was 1.4 GB, system.log was 222.3 mb.

There are several messages at the end of the asl.log related to the hard disk install. They vary, but look something like this:

[Time 2009.05.03 16:34:46 UTC] [Facility launchd] [Sender launchd] [PID -1] [Message Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[100\]: exited abnormally: Hangup] [Level 5] [UID -2] [GID -2]

Strangely, the bulk of the file has messages like this:

[Time 2009.05.03 12:59:19 UTC] [Facility user] [Sender /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/DashboardClient.app/Contents/MacOS/DashboardClient] [PID -1] [Message CGContextFlush: invalid context] [Level 3] [UID -2] [GID -2]

I barely use Dashboard, but I cut out several things I don't need to see if that helps. Any ideas?

I've copied the log files off to the Maxtor. It's OK to delete them, right?

mt

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Download the free application Onyx and run all the cleaning routines. all OS x users should run the cleaning/maintenance routines about once every three months. One hint is when the program reboots your Mac manually do another reboot to completely rebuild your startup/shutdown cache. Doing this should help your problem.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Download the free application Onyx and run all the cleaning routines. all OS x users should run the cleaning/maintenance routines about once every three months. One hint is when the program reboots your Mac manually do another reboot to completely rebuild your startup/shutdown cache. Doing this should help your problem.

Thanks. I thought Onyx was Leopard only. Good info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.