Humor: This is how I feel about buying apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samiwas, Sep 19, 2010.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

I figured this had been posted here, but I can't find it. This is pretty funny, and kind of true after reading these forums.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

2. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I actually don't feel like that and don't get why others do. I think the biggest one I've seen people get all wound up about is MyWi.

Oh my god!10 whole dollars! Really? ATT wants to charge you like $30 a month to tether and you can't even do it via wifi but $10 one time fee is too much? Even if you just use it once...that's less than what a hotel would charge you for a day of Internet use. I mean for such great products like this, why wouldn't you want to support the developer?

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I admit, I laughed. Out loud. More than once.

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

9. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Sure, .99 cents isn't much but add .99 cents on TOP of the $30 monthly fee, and $400+ dollar phone I'm using and then things get costly. :)

10. dwero macrumors newbie

wow, have not seen such funny story for a long time. Got it.

11. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

12. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Maybe I'm comforted by the fact that I can go back to the retailer if there's something wrong or I just don't like what I bought, but when it comes to iTunes, you click and it's gone (unless you can tell me how people actually go about getting refunds in iTunes?). Also, I think people are comforted by the receiving something tangible, physical in their hand, versus paying for code, a virtual product. Lastly, people know that a bunch of $0.99 purchases add up rather quickly.

Granted, there's a significant price difference between the items purchased and $0.99 app purchase, but I think that's what the whole joke was about.

13. Battlestar macrumors 6502

14. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Its $20.

15. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

One thing that I find hilarious is that people will blow $20 on Cydia apps, but are outraged by $2.99 app store apps.

You'll pay 2-3 bucks on a app that allows you to slide your dock, but paying $4 for a productivity app is an outrage.

16. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I got raked over the coals in reviews for having the audacity to ask $1.99 for a game I spent 6 months on. I received emailed complaints about it on a daily basis.

So I gave in and lowered the price to $0.99, and guess what... sales stayed constant and I just made 50% less.

Apps like RunKeeper, PCalc, 2Do, and Gas/Trip Cubby are all worth the money. An app selling for more than Free/$0.99 is not necessarily overpriced!

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Funny. Thanks for the link.

What really tickles me is that I know some individuals just like that. :eek:

18. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

Welcome to the "me generation". I should make lots of money for what I do, but everything I want should be provided by others for free or very low prices.

19. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

As I recall, if there is either an APP that doesn't work or is just really horrendous/you bought it and couldn't stand it, if you want a refund you go iTunes -> Help -> Apple Service and Support and put in a help ticket.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

The strip is funny in a completely satirically manner - because the truth hurts. I don't have an issue paying for apps. And for Apps that are under $5 - still no issue. I start to hesitate above $5 only to weigh use case vs cost. IE - will I really be using it - or is it an App I think I might just like.

IE - I bought Docs to Go Premium because I knew I'd use it on both my iphone - but more importantly on my mac.

I refrained from buying any print apps for my iPad as I (as of yet) didn't have to print anything even though I thought it might be a good one to have since the OS didn't have that functionality. Glad I waited since 4.2 brings it to the table.

But I'm constantly amazed how "petty" people are over apps that are under $3... Not just in buying them - but then complaining when there are complete overhauls and the developer re-submits causing a person to rebuy (if they want the newer app) after they've already given tons of free updates.

Not only is .99 CHEAP for many apps... but clearly a developer can't survive and continue to provide enhancements FOREVER on that small purchase.

People need to get some perspective.

21. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Everything is relative in the world.

App vs. iPad is like:

A single hair strand in a bowl with cereals (too much) vs. a single hair strand on your head (too little). :rolleyes:

22. andrewr2123 macrumors member

23. adztaylor macrumors 68000