Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest ad for the iPhone 15 models focuses on the device's storage, highlighting the 128GB of available storage space for the entry-level device.

The ad features a man looking through his photos, and each photo on the device sings "Don't Let Go" by Terrace Martin, Mr. Talkbox, and PJ Morton. He ultimately decides not to delete his images. The spot ends with the tagline "Lots of storage for lots of photos."

While the standard iPhone 15 models and the iPhone 15 Pro models start with 128GB of storage, Apple offers 256GB and 512GB upgrade options, with an additional 1TB option for the iPhone 15 Pro. The iPhone 15 Pro Max models start with double the storage at 256GB, with 512GB and 1TB available when upgrading.

Article Link: Humorous Apple Ad Highlights iPhone 15 Storage

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
While the standard iPhone 15 models and the iPhone 15 Pro models start with 128GB of storage, Apple offers 256GB and 512GB upgrade options, with an additional 1TB option for the iPhone 15 Pro.
Anything larger than 128 GB might sound overly large to some people, but let me tell you from personal experience... those 4K 60-frames-per-second cat videos will fill that space up fast. 😩

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I never understood the hate against entry level specs

"but why 8GB of ram on the Mac in 2024?"
"but why 128GB of storage on the iPhone in 2024?"

ok, would you like Apple to double it and increase the base price, giving you less options?
No, but bases need to change with the times. Selling a MacBook Pro with 8GB of ram in 2024, just doesn't feel appropriate, imho.

xiJulian_

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021

ok, would you like Apple to double it and increase the base price, giving you less options?
No, i would like for Apple to double and charge the same price, storage is VERY cheap these days and especially for a company like Apple. Stop believing everything tim says..

Moka Akashiya

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2020

People are mostly unhappy that they have to buy 8GB at 5 times the price it sells for elsewhere.
And even if Apple raised the price for the basic configuration, it would still be more profitable. Because over time, significant discounts appear on it and it is available in any store, while custom configs simply disappear for purchase or do not have any discounts after years.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire

With your logic they could just include an intel celery processor and charge to upgrade to Apple Silicon.

Get with the times man it’s 2024 we have progressed from 10 years ago. Apple is a premium brand and priced as such so specs should match.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
People are mostly unhappy that they have to buy 8GB at 5 times the price it sells for elsewhere.

And even if Apple raised the price for the basic configuration, it would still be more profitable. Because over time, significant discounts appear on it and it is available in any store, while custom configs simply disappear for purchase or do not have any discounts after years.
you raise prices, you cut off a lot of customers who can only meet the lower base price.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
With your logic they could just include an intel celery processor and charge to upgrade to Apple Silicon.

no, because that would involve a major deal with intel to keep the supply of intel chips alive and ongoing software support for intel chips for additional years. much more overhead than keeping an 8gb configuration alive.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

But the price of flash storage goes down over time. So there's a certain point they can increase the storage without raising the price. I remember in 2005, I paid like $60 for a 128mb memory stick for my PlayStation Portable. These days, you can get 128gb for like $10.

Last edited:

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014

No we wpuld like Apple to match the competition in their pricing structure, and stop ripping off customers by claiming 8gb is adequate in a macbook pro.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
No we wpuld like Apple to match the competition in their pricing structure
I would like Apple to make zero profit and stick their middle finger into their shareholders' faces.

that's not happening.

and stop ripping off customers by claiming 8gb is adequate in a macbook pro.

8GB is literally adequate for many customers. maybe not adequate for you and me, for many, yes.

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
8GB is literally adequate for many customers.
So is a 10 year old Intel [if the OS actually updated, browsers etc] by your same claim. Adequate for many dependent on their use case. Not adequate for others.

You see, in your rush to defend Cookie & Co you forget that. Apple, the almighty, do drop a lot of stinkers too. Their software QA nowadays is legendary but hey, "with this release we have 150 new emojis!"

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.