Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I wouldn't stand for my parents saying stuff like that (the too shy part, and laughing about it). They'd get quite the yell from me, and we have a healthy relationship.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I do a similar thing all the time when people come over.

Later when pressed by avoided party, I tell them 1) I had a rough week & needed some quality time with myself and was masturbating or 2) I don't like people and avoid contact any way I can.

Given your age, I'd opt for the self-pleasure route.;)

You'll get over it and have much more embarrassing incidents than this. Bump in the road....

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Still think you need to grow up big time. Shower, shave, go say hello, make your excuses. That would have taken 15 minutes in total, got you brownie points with your parents, probably your profs, and you'd have been back to your exam.

Surely if you were fit enough to do an exam you were fit enough to go meet a few people?

How about his mom doesnt act so weird and pushy and leave it alone? I don't understand her need to force this nor get laughs at her child's expense...I think it was rude. Easiest thing would have been for her to leave it alone...she decided her need to "entertain" was more important.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
First off, you should have just gone down and said howdy, told them you had an exam and bolted.

But since you didn't, it isn't the end of the world. I promise you, they won't think twice about it. It will only be awkward if you let it be.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
First off, you should have just gone down and said howdy, told them you had an exam and bolted.

Why? I don't get why he "should" have. If his mother hadn't continued to make a huge deal out of it, or better yet never created the situation to begin with as she KNEW he wanted, there wouldn't have been an issue at all. I am curious why you chose to say HE should have done something rather than his mom not just STOP pushing and leave it alone?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Why? I don't get why he "should" have. If his mother hadn't continued to make a huge deal out of it, or better yet never created the situation to begin with as she KNEW he wanted, there wouldn't have been an issue at all. I am curious why you chose to say HE should have done something rather than his mom not just STOP pushing and leave it alone?

Because he is living in her house?

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Because he is living in her house?

Lame parent like excuse. She used her child to get laughs and attention from guests. That is weird. Kids should be able to trust their parents not screw with them like that. It's exactly what makes them WANT to hide in their rooms.

She chose to put her entertaining drama in front of his school work and personal wishes. Not good parenting.

These kind of situations are easy to see as failures...when the thing you are doing to someone else would upset you if it was being done to you that is a huge clue.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Lame parent like excuse. She used her child to get laughs and attention from guests. That is weird. Kids should be able to trust their parents not screw with them like that. It's exactly what makes them WANT to hide in their rooms.

She chose to put her entertaining drama in front of his school work and personal wishes. Not good parenting.

These kind of situations are easy to see as failures...when the thing you are doing to someone else would upset you if it was being done to you that is a huge clue.

Not saying mom was perfect.... we all have our warts and blemishes. My parents weren't perfect, but I knew what was expected and what I could get away with. I doubt that this is the first time mom has acted like this, and the OP is still living at home at 21.... so - her house, her rules. You don't like 'em, you don't have to live there. Not excusing what she did.... just saying that one has to make the best of what life serves you.

Personally, I'd like to think I'd have the confidence to go down dishevelled, smelly, and red-eyed and spent at least an hour socializing. Sometimes you have to do exactly what is requested in order to win.

Epsilon88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Not saying mom was perfect.... we all have our warts and blemishes. My parents weren't perfect, but I knew what was expected and what I could get away with. I doubt that this is the first time mom has acted like this, and the OP is still living at home at 21.... so - her house, her rules. You don't like 'em, you don't have to live there. Not excusing what she did.... just saying that one has to make the best of what life serves you.

Personally, I'd like to think I'd have the confidence to go down dishevelled, smelly, and red-eyed and spent at least an hour socializing. Sometimes you have to do exactly what is requested in order to win.

I agree that a person living in their family home is obligated to help with vacuuming, grocery-shopping, dish-washing, and other chores. But there's a limit when it comes to the parent trying to make decisions in their son or daughter's social lives. That has nothing to do with the care or maintenance of the household. A "her house, her rules" sounds good in theory, but it pretty much justifies any crazy behavior.

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Personally, I don't see anything rude or immature about what the OP did. Neither do I see any humor in any of this :confused:

On the other hand, his mom fits the description completely - rude and immature. Acting out and causing drama like a 5 year-old... when she's the parent? Making a huge deal out of nothing and making up details about him getting in the bath!? That's absolutely pathetic.

This, instead of expressing disagreement beforehand, when he expressly gave her the chance. They could have discussed this.

And in the meantime, his huge mistake was... staying in his room. :rolleyes:

Nothing she does for him, like letting him stay in her house, is an excuse for that kind of thing. If she wants it to be, then fine, full disclosure, if he is to stay in her house, then he will have to agree put up with [list of items], if not, pay x amount in rent. If not, out.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
You blew it. Shaving takes 5 minutes. Anyone that sympathizes with you is under 17 years old.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
There are two sides to it and having older children, I know they tend to be a bit hypersensitive. Not to say that's the case but I know I've done things that my kids were mortified over and it's mehh, not a biggie to me. Imagine that...:p

Kids and parents are funny that way.:rolleyes:

I don't think his Mom meant to humiliate him but parents sometimes don't understand little things embarrass kids, even adult ones. Kids should understand that adults probably have forgotten it three minutes after it happened and it's not that big a deal.

Just move on and forget it ever happened, odds are they probably have.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Anyway, it had been a brutal week of little sleep running on Red Bull and coffee. I had (partly) lost my voice and looked like an unshaven drug addict. Everything seemed hazy and I felt like I was losing my grip on reality.

In that case you could have said your professor wanted you to take an online drug test. ;)

Epsilon88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Good advice, Mac Guy.

To continue the story... I told my mom that I had been embarrassed. Her response: "Oh come oooooonnnn, it's just common courtesy. When guests come over, you have to socialize with them. And also, I'd like you to babysit their kids... you can take a few hours out of your schedule to do that. Tomorrow, Chris's family are coming over. Can you take care of their kids? Think of how much I do for you."

Anyway, Chris has five kids ranging from 6 to 12, and I'll have to entertain them for at least 4 hours. I was very annoyed earlier, but this thread has given me some perspective. There are some downsides to living at home, but overall I'm glad that I still do. Next time: socialize. But if I really don't want to, stay over at a friend's house.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
Good advice, Mac Guy.

To continue the story... I told my mom that I had been embarrassed. Her response: "Oh come oooooonnnn, it's just common courtesy. When guests come over, you have to socialize with them. And also, I'd like you to babysit their kids... you can take a few hours out of your schedule to do that. Tomorrow, Chris's family are coming over. Can you take care of their kids? Think of how much I do for you."

Anyway, Chris has five kids ranging from 6 to 12, and I'll have to entertain them for at least 4 hours. I was very annoyed earlier, but this thread has given me some perspective. There are some downsides to living at home, but overall I'm glad that I still do. Next time: socialize. But if I really don't want to, stay over at a friend's house.

Just pop down for a minute, literally and say your wiped from a hard week, nice to see you but I'm exhausted, excuse my appearance and I need to go to sleep before I say something I'll regret. They'll laugh, say g'night and you're off. All is happy!

I have a 22 year old and 16 year old both living at home so been there, done that. ;)

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Good advice, Mac Guy.

See? If you had come down the first time, your appearance--though easily explainable at the time--may make them think twice about having you supervise their children. ;) If you converse with people as adults, then you will be afforded the privileges of one, instead of being Captain of the Kids table..

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
That's not so embarrassing, I showed up drunk for one of my professors exams once on campus (I wasn't hiding it either)--still got an A in psychology LOL

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
Heh, I'm actually enjoying this thread tremendously. And I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing embarrassing stories... judging by the response to this thread, people have enjoyed it. Posters like savoirfaire should be quiet and do what I should've done that night: have a sense of humor and relax! ;)

Don't worry, dude, I've got no problems with the responses in this thread. I just found it amusing that your attempt to fish for sympathy backfired.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Good advice, Mac Guy.

I think you should have just cleaned yourself up and went down to say hello and then excused yourself to go back upstairs. However, reading this recent reply I think your mom presumes too much. My first thought when I read the first post and heard she was getting laughs off the back of you staying upstairs, something you had already discussed with her, was "What a bitch!" :eek: But then I'm not very social and find it extremely irritating when overly social people just expect me to behave like they do at their whim. So I actually sympathize. (and for the record, I'm well over 17, for whoever made that comment)

Don't sweat it though. It's not that big of a deal and I doubt the professors are going to give it much thought.

Epsilon88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Don't worry, dude, I've got no problems with the responses in this thread. I just found it amusing that your attempt to fish for sympathy backfired.

And I find it amusing that you post snarky comments based on infantile assumptions. And, of course, while hiding behind your computer screen.

That's not so embarrassing, I showed up drunk for one of my professors exams once on campus (I wasn't hiding it either)--still got an A in psychology LOL

That's definitely worse than what I had to go through! Well, maybe the drunkenness helped to calm your nerves and ace the exam? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.