Humorous critique of iconic photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kallisti, Jun 16, 2016.

1. kallisti macrumors 65816

kallisti

I remember reading a post somewhere on the internet where the author was criticizing critiques offered on photography sites and offered up "fake" critiques of iconic photos that one might see if those photos were posted today on a photography forum. I remember finding it very amusing, but didn't bookmark the page for some reason. Haven't been able to find it with a Google search.

Ring any bells for anyone?

2. kallisti thread starter macrumors 65816

kallisti

Perhaps could be a fun game to create our own version! Find a pic by a published photographer that is widely accepted to be "good" and then offer faux internet critique.

[​IMG]
    I really want to like this image of yours James Nachtwey, but it would have been a better composition if you’d left a little space to the right of the frame so we could see where the boy is looking. This composition is uncomfortable for the viewer. I would have shot it either further back or with the camera pointed right a bit. I think you were onto something here, but the execution leaves something to be desired. Including a pic as an example of a better way to leave space when a subject is looking out of the frame.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Leonard Freed I think your photo has potential, but the composition seems a bit off. Maybe pivot your camera a bit to the left next time? There is empty space on the right and you cut off a hand at the joint in the left of the frame (a big "no no"). There is also minimal shadow detail. Did you shoot this as RAW or JPEG (shooting RAW can help you recover shadow detail in post)? Perhaps try a little positive exposure compensation next time? Or consider a camera with better dynamic range (like a Nikon D810).

[​IMG]
    Robert Capa, I think you have real potential!! But this photo has some serious problems. Everything is blurry (did you shoot this handheld?) and the noise is pretty distracting. I’d suggest using a tripod in the future as that would have vastly improved this pic (and would likely improve your other images too!!). Alternatively, investing in a fast prime would let you use faster shutter speeds (which would help with the blur) and/or lower ISO (which would help with the noise). Just a friendly suggestion. Keep up the good work!