Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
The Quicktime demo of the upcoming Safari RSS in panther shows an amusing article about Apple, concerning its recent legal action against rumor sites.

Take a look at the article title from Forbes in the screen shot, concerning Apple's recent legal action against rumor mill sites. Not what I'd consider a particularly positive spin on the situation by Forbes. I'm surprised it slipped into the Safari RSS showcase, unless Apple happens to be proud of that characterization!

Attachments

• safarirss.jpg
    safarirss.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 427

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
no

to be honest, i personally think they let people get away with releasing too much. its always fun to hear speculation and RUMORS, but when it comes to actual products being leaked i feel its a negative. Apple is probably the most innovative company its its field. That being said, for them to throw all their cards on the table like a huge corporation (M$) would be a suicide attempt. Apple is a secret machine, and needs to stay that way for now.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
After checking out the Tiger preview I also noticed something else funny. Look how good all the stocks are doing on the stock "widget" except for Microsoft which seems to be closing in the "red" for the day!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
cyanide said:
to be honest, i personally think they let people get away with releasing too much. its always fun to hear speculation and RUMORS, but when it comes to actual products being leaked i feel its a negative. Apple is probably the most innovative company its its field. That being said, for them to throw all their cards on the table like a huge corporation (M$) would be a suicide attempt. Apple is a secret machine, and needs to stay that way for now.

That's a very fair point - I concede. The fact that they are innovative changes the rules a fair bit.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Abercrombieboy said:
After checking out the Tiger preview I also noticed something else funny. Look how good all the stocks are doing on the stock "widget" except for Microsoft which seems to be closing in the "red" for the day!
I think Apple did that for effect and was not using real-time data. That doesn't diminish the usefulness of the stock widget though.

As far as the RSS feed goes, Apple wanted to show a representative sample of the current Apple-related news stories, even if they cast Apple in a bad light. If Apple left out the lawsuit, this thread would have started about that omission instead, IMO.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
wrldwzrd89 said:
As far as the RSS feed goes, Apple wanted to show a representative sample of the current Apple-related news stories, even if they cast Apple in a bad light. If Apple left out the lawsuit, this thread would have started about that omission instead, IMO.

I disagree. They could have shown any manner of other info on the page. They could have taken then movie clip from a different day, when that particular headline wasn't at the top of the feed.

Apple wants to give the impression that its lawsuits are for the protection of its business strategy, not to "bite the fans that feed [the company]." I wouldn't have started a thread to say "hey guys, Apple didn't put any negative headlines about itself on it Tiger marketing website!! what gives?!"

I wouldn't expect them to do that, naturally. That's why I was surprised to see it.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
apple_iBoy said:
I disagree. They could have shown any manner of other info on the page. They could have taken then movie clip from a different day, when that particular headline wasn't at the top of the feed.

Apple wants to give the impression that its lawsuits are for the protection of its business strategy, not to "bite the fans that feed [the company]." I wouldn't have started a thread to say "hey guys, Apple didn't put any negative headlines about itself on it Tiger marketing website!! what gives?!"

I wouldn't expect them to do that, naturally. That's why I was surprised to see it.
Fair enough. That begs the question though...what was Apple's reasoning behind choosing the RSS stories they chose?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
wrldwzrd89 said:
Fair enough. That begs the question though...what was Apple's reasoning behind choosing the RSS stories they chose?

Hmm... not sure about that.

Simple oversight? Maybe it slipped by the people who normally do the P.R. filtering of posted info?

But on the other hand, if it's still there, maybe you're right and they genuinely don't care. Just seems a little odd to me!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Until now, I hadn't thought much of the RSS functionality in Safari- I figured I'd rather have a dedicated RSS app (so far I like NewsFire a lot.)

But from the demo it looks very appealing. For example, I like how you can view RSS feeds for a set of links in a bookmark folder.

Still not sure if it will replace a dedicated app for me. But it will probably get me to switch over from Camino.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.