Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I admire a good screen, but I laugh at the sight of HUNDREDS of screen engineers hovering over a screen tech booth with one or two displays shown off.
If engineers are at a show it’s to make connections under the guise of ogling the new tech, regardless of the company that sends them.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jamesrick80

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I wonder why so many would attend? Would 368 miss something that number 369 might catch?

There's no putdown there or anything. It just seems like an enormous number of people sent to something when a smaller group could probably catch everything that is actually new and simply brief the rest.
Being allowed to go to such conventions can also be seen as a perk for employees. Staff retention is a relevant problem for basically all Silicon Valley companies. And in reverse, such a large delegation can also be a recruiting tool for Apple.
[doublepost=1527345512][/doublepost]
What I don't like is the color shift towards cyan/blue as the display is tilted left-right a few degrees off-axis. I came close to sending the phone back, but liked everything else so much I decided to hold onto it.
And basically all previous OLED phone displays did even worse than in that regard. People blamed Apple for being late with OLED and other people complain about them being early (ie, before OLEDs best LCDs in each and every aspect).
[doublepost=1527345707][/doublepost]
Someone at Apple clearly believes in the Mythical Man Month (the false idea that more people = faster development).
Yeah, right, because sending engineers to a convention is the same as assigning them to work on a project. Sure, if the project is to compile a report about the convention, then sending more people might not help. But there are many more things attending a convention is good for, to which the Mythical Man Month doesn't apply.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Is there a problem with the color?

There is when you tilt the display a few degrees off-axis, causing a color shift to cyan/blue.

I was on the fence about returning the phone, but ultimately decided to keep it.

Last edited by a moderator:

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
If only they could put the same amount of effort in developing serious sound solutions too!
Airplay needs a serious update, surround sound is nice (Airplay 2), but nothing much has been reported on it's actual audio quality. HiRes Audio support (24Bit/96kHz and better) for iTunes, iOS and Mac devices regarless of being wired and or wireless (instead of the current Airplay limit of 16bit/48kHz) would be very welcome indeed. The homepod is a nice product and it will be ok for many users, but we need to be able to take advantage of serious music lovers, their equipment/hifi / high end systems. If they care so much about display technology and what we can observe with our eyes, surely our ears deserve the same attention!

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Right. And in 2018, when the next iPhone comes out, it'll likely win against the S9... surprise surprise, the 'best' display is often the latest.

Point is, the X won for 2017. 2018 is still up in the air.
I know what you are saying, but you did say the X has the most accurate display of any smartphone, and that's just not accurate.

Then new Apple phone should better the S9, but we'll see eh? There also the Note 9 to contend with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.