Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
So, I posted about a week ago that the battery in my 3GS had failed. I took the phone to the Apple Store on last Thursday or Friday, and they agreed. They replaced the phone.

On Monday I noticed that the vibrate motor was a little wonky. After vibrating like normal, it would continue to vibrate at a low speed for up to a minute. I had some battery and connectivity issues, but the vibrate motor made me think they would swap it out. I took it in on Thursday (yesterday).
They replaced the phone.

Last night, I couldn't get any signal at all. On a whim, I called ATT, and they found that my SIM had deactivated, and reactiviated.
All better.

Today, everything was great. I got to work with a 94% charge, owing to a little bit of email and iPod on the way in. In the time since, the charge has dropped to 54%. I took a couple of calls, totalling about 5 minutes and chacked my email once or twice. I opened two webpages. I had 3G and location service on until a few minutes ago, and how have Edge and no Location. Stats: Usage 1h3m; Standby 7h49m.

Does it sound like an app had hung and was draining the battery (the phone was warm just now), do I have a bad battery, or am I just cursed? Is there something else I can do to resolve this? I know with the first 3GS, I could get a good 4-5 hours of heavy games and data. Now, I don't think I'd get more than 3.

dlemmon

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
denver, co
I had the same problem on monday this week

I noticed when I plugged it in the computer for the night it made a sound, but didnt' wake up my mac pro which is unusual, but I didn't think much of it. the next day I left my phone on durring work which I usually don't do. by the time I got to school it had gone from 100% to 50 percent. I didn't use it the rest of the day, but everytime I checked on it, it went down signifantly. it died about 2 hours into school. I turned it back on on the way home, and it had 4% which lasted all the way home (45min) even with making a 5 min call. I think one of two things caused this

1.) an app I had used hung up the iphone and drained the battery very fast. got resolved when it shut it's self down and I turned it back on. (reboot)

2.) when I charged it the night before, it never actually charged it. the iPhone battery meter just thought it was full, and when I used it, it realized it was lower than it thought. draining it quickly. (resync)

I also deleted the last 3 apps i had downloaded.

so i guess I'm saying it could just be a one time thing. if you notice it draining fast, try rebooting it and see if it levels off.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
it died about 2 hours into school. I turned it back on on the way home, and it had 4% which lasted all the way home (45min) even with making a 5 min call. I think one of two things caused this

I'm surprised it turned back on - when mine shuts down, it's done. I have to get it on the charger for 5-10 minutes to get any response

1.) an app I had used hung up the iphone and drained the battery very fast. got resolved when it shut it's self down and I turned it back on. (reboot)

2.) when I charged it the night before, it never actually charged it. the iPhone battery meter just thought it was full, and when I used it, it realized it was lower than it thought. draining it quickly. (resync)

I also deleted the last 3 apps i had downloaded.

so i guess I'm saying it could just be a one time thing. if you notice it draining fast, try rebooting it and see if it levels off.

I'll try letting it drain itself off. I figure I should do that on occasion anyway, and today is a perfect opportunity. My parents place is a black hole and I never get reception there. I should be able to finish the battery off tonight, if it isn't dead before I get home.

Deleting apps sounds like a plan, except I don't have any apps on the phone that weren't there before this mess started...

I just wish there was an app that would let you either a) look at the diagnostic info that the Geniuses see, or b) gave you Activity Monitor level of detail on running apps. That way I could work on resolving this without planning another trip to the Apple Store.

dlemmon

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
denver, co
I'm surprised it turned back on - when mine shuts down, it's done. I have to get it on the charger for 5-10 minutes to get any response

it didn't the first few times I tried.

I'll try letting it drain itself off. I figure I should do that on occasion anyway, and today is a perfect opportunity. My parents place is a black hole and I never get reception there. I should be able to finish the battery off tonight, if it isn't dead before I get home.

if you get bad signal, that will eat up battery bad. it'll keep searching for signal, which is horrible for battery life. if you can't get signal anyway, try airplane mode.

Deleting apps sounds like a plan, except I don't have any apps on the phone that weren't there before this mess started...

I just wish there was an app that would let you either a) look at the diagnostic info that the Geniuses see, or b) gave you Activity Monitor level of detail on running apps. That way I could work on resolving this without planning another trip to the Apple Store.

that would be nice, I would like an app that lets me know more of the diagnostic stuff to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.