Hung Finder (sort of)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pokeyjoe, Jan 8, 2010.

1. pokeyjoe macrumors newbie

I have a late 2009 Mac Mini running 10.6.2 with an occasional odd problem. I'll go up to the menu bar at the top and discover that its not the appropriate menu bar for the application I'm in. I might be in Safari (responsive in the window), but it says "Finder" in the menu bar - or Quicktime or some other open app. I can cycle through the windows without a problem, but the menu bar doesn't change. Then all of a sudden, everything is fine.

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hung finder? :yum:

Umm have you tried to repair permissions?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I was waiting for someone to suggest that, :) the repair permissions, that is.

4. pokeyjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have repaired permissions. I booted off the install disc and ran the repair as well. I have also run all the usual Unix scripts (daily, weekly, etc) to no avail.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is 10.6.3 out or is this a dev build? If it's a dev build then isn't it a bug?

6. chown33 macrumors 604

It can be one of only two things:
    1. You're violating your NDA by discussing a prerelease in public.
    2. You have an unauthorized copy of the 10.6.3 prerelease.

Well, there is a third possibility:
    3. It's not 10.6.3 at all, only a typo.

If you do have an authorized prerelease of 10.6.3, your course of action should be obvious: file a bug-report with Apple.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. pokeyjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it was a typo. Maybe I was wishing 10.6.3 would fix it or something. Dunno. Its 10.6.2.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Do you have any haxies, input managers, hardware drivers, or other weirdness installed?

Have you made any alterations or modifications at all to the as-installed system? For example, I have Wacom tablet drivers added to my machine.

Have you tried Safe Boot?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

Have you tried (or considered) reinstalling the OS?

10. pokeyjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing weird. I tried the Safe Boot, which caused problems of its own. I lost video, or so I thought. I had to boot on the install disk again (with no video), put it to sleep, wake it up, then run disk utility. I think I'm back where I was.

The OS install is recent. I guess I can run it again. What a PITA.

After some additional research, I think the issue might be with Rosetta (Quicken uses it). Its an emulation so maybe thats the cause. Dunno.