Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Thomson was an excellent, articulate writer - which is why I enjoyed reading his stuff even though I often disagreed with him. Terrible news. Suicides are always such a waste, an awful waste.

aoasus

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2005
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Tribute

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

**sigh**

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
aricher, your post summed up exactly how I feel about Thompson.

I've read Fear and Loathing about 10 times now, but have still yet to see the movie.

Still bummed about the whole thing.

:(

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
i cant understand why he did it tho. I mean, he kinda was at the top of his career, with the "rum diaries" coming out in a movie, and book signings all over. Hunter, Why?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Savage Henry said:
It was from this text that I got my handle.
"...we're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years, but he ripped us off - and you know what that means, right??"

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
aricher said:
but wouldn't be surprised if the mental torment of witnessing America move farther and farther to the right, transforming into Greedheads, Inc. contributed to his decision to commit suicide. So raise the glasses high tonight and join me in a toast to the good doctor.

This point were raised in several discussions I had today. I always believed he would have challenged somebody to a fistfight even as the last bomb was being dropped as opposed to taking his own life.

I really liked Hell's Angels. My gf read volume 1 of The Proud Highway but it was lent to a friend who has since disappeared a la Acosta. Might have to procure a copy this weekend.

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold..."

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Garry Trudeau did a bit of a tribute yesterday:

Attachments

• doonesbury.gif
    doonesbury.gif
    39 KB · Views: 101

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I was wondering how Garry Trudeau was going to handle this. HS Thompson HATED the Duke character. I wish Trudeau would have had more of a 'tribute" of sorts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.