Hurray I finally did it!!! need some help with safari though now...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ascension, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Ascension macrumors newbie

Hello fellow Mac users!
    Yes I am very pleased to say I finally made the switch and I am now the proud owner of a 27" iMac i5 quad core!!! Woop Woop!! lol.

Very very pleased with the machine and after a couple of hours I had gotten to grips with the way the OS works, making the switch and getting used to the new operating system was way easier than I thought it would be.

I now understand why so many MAC users are so passionate about their superiority over Micro$haft machines!!!

anyway enough of my rantings...

I have gotten used to using Safari and really like it, but i cant seem to find an add on anywhere to allow an 'auto refresh' function.

This seems very short sighted of apple nit to have included this feature?
    IE7, IE8 and FF this is a 10 minute add on and presto.

you can then select the option to auto refresh each tab at different intervals if you wish.

Is such a thing available for Safari???
    If so please can somebody post a link where I can find it???

BTW; I have already tried 'pimp my safari' without any luck.

Please, if you can help get in touch :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/safari-page-monitor
    via http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=562721
    via http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thank you for the swift responses.

http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/safari-page-monitor
    the above link opens a page which displays...

a dead link!

thats as far as I got myself unfortunately :(

is safari opensource? could I pay a developer to create an add on?

I have a distinct memory of trying glims already, but will try again and post my results...

5. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, GLIMS is a dead end too.

does not have an auto refresh/reload facility.

I much prefer safari to FF because the particular tab I want enable auto refresh for works in a normal window/tab on safari but not in FF

in FF you have to open the link in a new window and therefore lose the ability to auto refresh! GRRRR!!!

Safari has the ability to open the page in a normal window!
    but no auto refresh!!!

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes and no. Safari isn't open source, but it uses WebKit to handle page rendering, which is. (WebKit is also responsible for a bunch of other OS X interface elements such as Dashboard.)

What you're looking for is certainly possible and has been done, as others have pointed out to you already. I guess it's up to the developer if they want to retread the same ground, but I don't think you'd be getting very good value for your money.

You might want to try the link again... I see what you mean.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Look like the add-on has been discontinued. Creating an add-on is not something you do in one night, it requires time and passion, so if Glims doesn't work, switching to a browser with auto-refresh add-on like Firefox is your best option.

Current Safari is 64-bit so it would have to be completely rewritten which takes even longer time. I doubt the dev wants to update it, nor publish the source

8. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, thank you for the feedback.
    I do not wish to sound ungrateful at all.

I'm just frustrated.

AUTO REFRESH is useful on lots of sites, forums for one lol
    but the main thing I want autorefresh for is internet banking.

my bank logs you out if you have been inactive for 30seconds!!!

although IE & FF have auto refresh add ons...
    neither of them work for internet banking because the bank use; to access the internet banking system you have to 'open link in new window'

which has no address bar etc in the window, it opens a pop up and you cant even copy the address into a proper window either.

but with SAFARI i have been able to access internet banking in a new tab with an address bar in it etc and so if SAFARI had an auto refresh facility I could then access internet banking in the way I want to.

its just very frustrating that if I want to pay wages or transfer funds between accounts business and personal, and want to double check a payment date or something else i'm automatically logged out of internet banking after just 30seconds!

9. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

what I meant was that there are quite a number of people posting elsewhere with no luck so I am sure that I am not alone in my want of this feature.

I am now considering paying somebody to create an add on for current SAFARI and make it available as a download for other users who want to have the facility too.

I am starting to think that add on creation may be the only way to achieve what I want and then I can make it available to others too.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Bank is not logging you out just for fun, it's because of security.

Sure you can pay if you want but I would NEVER leave my bank site open if I don't use it, I always log out and clear my cache

11. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, understood

Neither would I, I realise why they log out automatically.

whenever I have finished doing what I am doing I too will click 'log out'
    but, when I am at home I would like the option to leave internet banking logged in for a short time if I am waiting for a transfer to com in or something.

I am not talking about leaving a shared computer logged in. I am the only person who uses my computer and I would never leave IB logged in and go out of the house. thats asking for trouble.

but without without the password anybody who did get onto my internet banking the only thing they could do is move money between my own accounts.

even if I could change the auto log out setting to a couple of minutes that would do, but 30seconds is a pain.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, now I understand! I misread it, thought it was 30 minutes :p

So Firefox doesn't work either?

13. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, i see said the blind man to his deaf dog tat wasn't listening!

30 minutes would be fine.

but 30seconds means that if you take a call whilst sitting at my desk i get logged out. But, 30seconds. . . you've barely got enough time for a sneeze!!!

14. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

Firefox auto-refresh works a treat but not with internet banking.

because to access it with FF you have to open a pop up window in which you no longer have the option to activate the auto-refresh function.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you right-click it and select open in new tab?

16. Ardoptres macrumors regular

17. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

'right click' = same issue, does not work just opens a new 'pop up' window anyway

18. Ascension thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your input there.

but you have kind of missed the point.

FF is not capable of opening the internet banking window in a new tab.
    but Safari is.

so as much as I like FF on this occasion it is not "way better" at all.