Hurricane Sandy and November 2 Delivery

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bsquared397, Oct 28, 2012.

1. bsquared397 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Many of you probably live in the path of Hurricane Sandy. From the predictions I have been seeing, it is hard to believe that Apple can still deliver all of those iPads on Friday. Now my mini is preparing for shipping, but being on Long Island it seems less likely that Friday will be the day. Is there a certain policy to this? Does FedEx handle weather in a certain way. Also, might apple acknowledge those who were promised a Friday delivery date if sandy delays shipment?

2. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

I'm just as excited to get a new Apple product when I order one.

But dude, it's a hurricane, I think there are bigger problems to worry about - like are my damn Halloween decorations going to survive the wind gusts?

3. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I'm in WNY. Yeah my delivery may get delayed, but I'll survive... at the mercy of Sandy. heh

Seriously people, unless you're going to lose your job or life by a delayed package, there are bigger and more serious things at play here. Try to be less self-serving.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The companies are going to do what is safe for their employees. If you think the hurricane isn't a big deal, so over to the Outer Banks and plop yourself in a tent on the beach. Call it an extreme vacation. I'll sign for your package when you can't return.

5. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

If Sandy is as bad or worse then Irene then I won't have power come Friday so my mini can sit at the local hub where it will be safe as I won't have much use for it.

6. Mac'nCheese, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I guess it would cost a fortune to move power and cable and phone lines underground but I've been saying for years that we should do it already. How much money is spent rebuilding the grid every time a storm comes and knocks down power lines. At least start slow, do it little by little and get it done some day.

7. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

And it would provide a lot of jobs for people, as well as strengthening the infrastructure. I mean, damn, there was a day this past summer in which a big line of thunderstorms went through the northeast corridor and all we heard about was how power was out for 3-5 days in many areas. That's just pathetic.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

Agreed. I'm in Massachusetts and people were without power for days. You'd think that with the amount of trees we have over here, they'd already have put the power lines underground, but no, they still get repaired and placed above ground just waiting for the next storm to knock them down again. It's beyond annoying.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Absolutely. I know we are totally derailing this thread but rebuilding the entire grid is what the USA needs. Start from new power plants and work out from there. Everything that can go underground, should.

10. Martyrd0m, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012

Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

HAH! I'd love to see the size of the rate increase to afford rebuilding the infrastructure to that level. Not even getting into the whole utility right of way and easements that would go into laying all that wiring underground. It's a lot more complicated then most people think.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Of course it would be expensive and compicated. Since when do things like that stop us from getting stuff done. This is America son! Man up!!!

12. Chewbaca macrumors newbie

There will likely be some delays but no biggy.

And, since the death toll is rising, I hope everyone is taking the proper precautions.

13. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Apparently in the Northeast if it's too challenging, they simply dont do it. Thus the power goes out any time the wind blows.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'd rather have my preorder a day later than knowing my device was delivered with risk to someone's life.

15. cyrways macrumors member

Lol, the city I live in has all under ground utilities, but unfortunately everywhere around us doesn't and we don't have our own power station (i don't believe.)

but considering how most local governments and our national government are hemorrhaging at the seems because of debt don't expect it anytime soon.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

FedEx already has a note up on their tracking homepage to the effect they'll do what's safe for their teams, safeguard delayed shipments and etc. If the storm brings down enough of the power grid then no one's going to be especially concerned about their incoming gear for awhile. It's more about having adequate supply of drinking water, some nonperishable food, staying sheltered, getting some help with removing that tree from your roof, your neighbor's roof, your car or the road outside your house without getting electrocuted.