hurt my quadricep - advice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Keebler, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Ok. before i begin, nobody slam me for asking this question here. it's late, i just hurt myself tonight, i'm in pain and I know alot of mac users (well, all of us) are cool and plenty of us do hit the fields for play and have probably hurt their quads too.

So, I hit a tree tonight in touch football. not really a tree, but a guy about 6'3"....oh, i'm 5'2". it was completely accidental. Anyhoo, i guess my left quad hit his body somehow. no knee injury..thank God and no head injury. But the quad is tightening up.

I've hurt my ankles, knees and shoulders before, but I've never pulled a hammie or had this happen....which is much like a charlie horse I guess.

It hurts. right down to my damn foot too. feels like it's on fire. walking isn't fun and stairs...ugh. let's not even go there. I've put A-535 on it to warm it up and (hopefully) keep it from tightening any further. I'll be headed to bed soon where I will prop it up so the blood flow is away from the foot. No bruising on the quad yet, but there are 2 bruises on my calf below my knee which I find strange.

Any ideas? Not looking for diagnosis or anything...just some simple feedback based on hurting your quads.

As Han Solo would say, I have a bad feeling about this.

This being how sore and tight it will be tomorrow. I do exercise quite a bit so i'm hoping my mid-30s body responds well.... and thank God I am more solid than before b/c if i was flabby, I bet I'd be hurt alot more than I am. I seemed to take the collision alright.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm thinking ice, not heat

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express :)

Seriously, I think ice instead of heat is better

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

if I recall my kin/sports medicine electives

use ice for the first 48 hours -- 10 min or so every 2 or so hours -- if swelling persists -- see a doctor

a mild anti-inflammatory like an Advil/Motrin taken as the directions suggest for a few days won't hurt either -- the over the counter strength shouldn't cause you stomach discomfort

it might be good to see a doctor one way or the other -- might save yourself problems down the line -- ie, chronic pain that will require some sort of physical therapy to alleviate any scaring that could occur due to more severe injuries. Most chronic problems people have have are often untreated injuries.

hope that helps a little

best

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Rest, ice, and elevate for tonight. Unless it gets a lot worse, and then go to the ER.

If it seems to be an injury like no other you've ever had before (you seem to have some experience with sports injuries), see someone about it tomorrow.

Hopefully it's nothing more than a bad charlie horse, but if it's a tear, a bad strain, or a nerve-traction injury, you'll definitely want to see someone for help.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Damn, I knew I was right about the ice

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I've had a similar injury playing flag football where someone's kneecap struck home square on my quadricep. I could barely walk and had to limp off the field because the muscle was spasming. It turned out just to be a deep bruise and surprisingly it didn't turn purple or blue, but it was tender for a few days after.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

or a woof

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks everyone. it is better, but still sore.

i think it sounds exactly what gymnut described. I bet it was a knee b/c it was hard. Just a wee bit of bruising is all, but sore as heck. hurts to walk and getting out of my truck when I extend my leg is not good at all. but better than last night.

I did elevate and put ice on so thanks. I think the whole leg took a beating b/c my ankle was swollen and tight. After putting some pillows during my sleep, it was better.

Surely, you are right. lots of sports injuries. twisted the left ankle 3x's, once was a 3rd degree tear which meant the next tear 'level' would result in a complete tear and surgery. slightly sprained the right one. dislocated shoulder during high school football. my wife has that one on video somewhere. picture it....a 5'2" corner going mano - mano on the fullback who came out on a screen. we ran at each other for 10 yards straight. hehehe he was also about 6' and 220. oops. i slowed him down when his knees popped my shoulder out.

also popped the left index finger. ripped a tendon out. doc said the other tendons would become extra strong so i didn't need the ripped one. He said we have 2 of the same..interesting. also had my right pointer finger snapped....tendon ripped. Couldn't even bend that sucker. had surgery on it.

Oh and i'm pretty sure I have torn miniscus in my left knee. that was high school ball too.

That is why I took up hard core exercising a few years ago to strengthen my body to help my injured body parts. My left ankle ( knock on wood 3 times for good luck) is much stronger than before b/c of the pilates/plyometrics/yoga/strength circuit.

That all sounds bad, but of course, like everyone else, I have a buddy who is far worse off than me.

he tore an achilles one year...came back 2 years and totally destroyed his knee. :(

thanks again for the help folks.
    Cheers,
    keebler

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

RICE it....rest, ice, compression, elevation. :)

11. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

probably stretch it out, ice it up then try some heat, that always helped when i got beat up playing football in highschool.;)