Husband said I could get in line - IF it can be used as modem for Laptop

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meagain, Jun 29, 2007.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

Dang - I know Pogue said it can't be used as a modem to allow a laptop to get on the 'net, but seriously? I almost don't believe it. It's the last remaining obstacle I face in my quest to get an iPhone in this house.

He has a Samsung A-900 with Sprint EVDO data that can be plugged into his laptop in airports, hotels, etc. I'm able to use it as a passenger in the car on long trips and it's NICE to have.

Seriously though, technically speaking, does anyone else find the Pogue statement incredulous? I love the guy, but I guess I'm in sort of a denial about it. Would anyone be able to tell me how this works technically? Software update? Really, as long as one has the right cord, I don't see why it wouldn't act as a modem for a laptop. Right? Or maybe the wireless at least?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Companies have disabled this functionality in phones for years. Someone always writes a hack to allow it...

Get in line!! :D

3. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I don't think it was AT&T who disabled this, I think they just disabled the functionality in the phone itself. If it can't do it, having the right cable, pleading with higher powers, etc. won't get you anywhere. Some phones just can't do it, some can do it but you get slammed with huge charges, some can do it "blind" so the carrier doesn't know. The A900 is one of the phones that can tether blind. AT&T, however, will probably charge you a HUGE amount if you even are able to tether this, as there aren't programs out there to mask it like there are for WM5/6.

Tethering is (sort of) free on sprint but other networks will charge you huge fees for doing this. I would tread carefully if it's even a hackable function but I'm pretty sure the phone just isn't capable.