Husband Speaks Out in Taconic Drunk-Driving Crash

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

(If anyone can find a previous thread on this accident, please tell me so I can merge -- I've done a few searches and couldn't find one, although it seems to me there is one).

Speaks out... sort of... well, really, offers no really plausible explanation for this odd and tragic event.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/nyregion/07crash.html?hpw

Her behaviour seems quite the mystery... how did she manage to get plastered while she had all the kids with her? If her surviving son survives, he's quite young, and he probably will have a lot of memory loss, but can he explain any of this bizarre story?

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Very bizarre and very tragic.

It seems to me like it could have been brought on by some medical condition. A diabetic attack makes people behave very similarly to a drunk person, but I don't know how it could make the Blood Alcohol Level .19 or have placed 6 ounces of vodka in her stomach.

There's also 3+ unaccounted for hours between when they left the campsite and when she called her brother. It's also weird that she didn't just pull over to the side of the road and wait someone to pick her up if she was feeling disoriented.

This case needs a Dr. House or a Sherlock Holmes or both.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Looks like answers are not particularly forthcoming, unless they're discovered in a civil trial...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/nyregion/19taconic.html?hp

Some particularly cryptic excerpts:

A previous news report indicated an empty vodka bottle found in the vehicle:

Certainly, it seems possible she was unaware she consumed a bottle of vodka, and I guess it's possible she was somehow slipped marijuana, although this is the first time I've heard of a situation like this where the police would say that they take the possibility that the person was drunk and high without knowing it seriously... OTOH, the information also doesn't fit with the apparent lack of support for alcoholism....