HV20 - Basic Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by UberAlles, Nov 18, 2009.

1. UberAlles macrumors newbie

UberAlles

Hi all....looking for guidance that I haven't been able to find yet....

To start, I have a brand spanking new i7 Imac and a HV20.

I am a HD footage neophyte (more like dimwit) but have recorded a bunch of tapes over that past year or so.....the vast majority has been in 24fps Cine mode (because I thought that was the super duper setting..stupid me of course)

So main question:

1) Will IMovie import 24fps footage? (I am not looking to edit or do any monkey business, well out of my intellect class to do so).....just a straight import....

2) Will iDVD downconvert the HD footage for DVD burning? (Main reason I'm doing this is so the grandparents have copies of grandkids etc)

Clearly I am in need of some 101.....so any links to other info sources explaining all of this stuff and even basic importing answers would be very appreciated.

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

1) Yes. The 24fps setting on Canon VIXIA's uses a 60i wrapper, so yes, you can import and edit it in iMovie just fine.

2) Yes, you can downscale HD to SD resolution and burn to a playable DVD.

Have fun!

3. UberAlles thread starter macrumors newbie

UberAlles

Much appreciated......my cable from Newegg is coming today...so my first attempt at this will be tonight....

4. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    cool, I have an HV20 too. Thanks for the question OP

Can I tack on a question, that's more towards iMovie, not the HV20?

I have iMovie '09 (version 8.05 (820). When I first tried to import footage, I selected "Full" because I wanted HD. Now I noticed it doesn't ask me anymore on my future imports. How can I a) check to see what's been imported is in HD or not. and 2) How can I get it iMovie '09 to ask me each time?

I record stand-up comedy for myself and others and when people ask for HD, I import and work off of HD, otherwise, I work w/ non-HD to save space. This was easy on the iMovie HD and I think iMovie '06 - I would set if it was HD 1080i, etc before hand - or just DV Widescreen. But once I upgraded to the latest iMovie, it's been more confusing