HV30 Final Cut 30p workflow question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 4God, Nov 26, 2008.

1. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Okay, I get the reverse telecine process for 24p but I don't think this is the thing to do when recording 30p.
    As some of you probably know, the HV20/HV30 record 24p and 30p onto tape as 60i. Again, reverse telecine
    isn't a problem for 24p but I can't seem to figure out the best workflow for using 30p.

I still get the interlacing thing when I capture HDV and everything I output.
    I'm sure it's right in front of my face but I just can't see it. Any help would
    be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh, I'm on a MacPro and FCP 6.05

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... If you shoot in PF30, you should be able to edit on a 60i sequence setting then export without any interlacing. At least that's what happens to me when I shoot in PF30.

3. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

What's your workflow settings? Such as capture preset, sequence settings, output type?
    Are you using AIC or ProRes? Straight HDV? I still get interlacing when outputting for web content.

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I don't use FCP but I did use FCE 4 (just switched to Premiere Pro CS4) and I use AVCHD which should be the same concept if transcoded (i think?). Any ways when i did use FCE 4, it transcoded my clips to AIC and id use "AVCHD 1920x1080i60" sequence settings and if i shot it using PF30 or PF24, it would not show any signs of interlacing.

Are you editing on a HDV sequence or are you transcoding it? Maybe that could be the problem. I don't know for sure.

Does the de-interlacer in "quicktime conversion" work?

also what subject are you shooting? I shot some clips of a car moving down a hill towards me using PF30 and it appeared like I had interlacing lines but i de-interlaced that crap out of it and it still showed similar lines. So i think it may have been the CMOS sensor (again not entirely sure).

Hopefully someone will chime in with a more direct answer.

5. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Ah, I was just using the "Quicktime Conversion" when you posted. It seems to work pretty good when using the ProRes setting and using 1280x720 output. I also checked the deinterlace box and it looks pretty nice. Thanks for your input, your time is greatly appreciated.