Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
I have here one of these cameras and if someone can tell me exactly what to do step by step to capture uncompressed 24A in fpc 5.0 that would be incredible.

damiandixon

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's kind of a convoluted solution,
1. You need to capture in FCP as Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60
2. Then you need to open the capture scratch folder that the clips are captured to, and open each individual clip with Cinema Tools.
3. Click on 'Rev Telecine'
4. In the window that appears, conform to 23.94 fps and select '_cd_' in the fields area. Everything else stays the same.
5. After the pulldown has finished, everything should look sweet.
6. Create a Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60 sequence in FCP, but change the framerate to 23.98, which changes the field dominance to 'none'
7. Finally, import your 23.98fps clips and begin cutting!!

Note. There is no clean way to capture 24A in FCP 5. Sony Vegas seems to be the only NLE that supports it. Anyhow, you will lose your timecode doing it this way, so make sure you log correctly before you do the pulldown.

Hope this helps.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
5.0 had a $49 PPC upgrade path to 5.1.4 UB including all of FCS 1. Did you miss that boat? It's a lot more straight forward with FCP 6 part of FCS 2.
A little hint... the boat hasn't actually left yet, they're just saying they're full.;)

Call up apple and tell them your situation. If they still say there's no way, call again. Eventually someone will tell you that they can let you buy it at that price, just this one time. Worked for many FCP/24A users including myself.

...or pony up for 6.0.

-igor

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
It's kind of a convoluted solution,
1. You need to capture in FCP as Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60
2. Then you need to open the capture scratch folder that the clips are captured to, and open each individual clip with Cinema Tools.
3. Click on 'Rev Telecine'
4. In the window that appears, conform to 23.94 fps and select '_cd_' in the fields area. Everything else stays the same.
5. After the pulldown has finished, everything should look sweet.
6. Create a Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60 sequence in FCP, but change the framerate to 23.98, which changes the field dominance to 'none'
7. Finally, import your 23.98fps clips and begin cutting!!

Note. There is no clean way to capture 24A in FCP 5. Sony Vegas seems to be the only NLE that supports it. Anyhow, you will lose your timecode doing it this way, so make sure you log correctly before you do the pulldown.

Hope this helps.

that helped a lot, thanks. I did that for interior footage and it turned out amazing but some exterior stuff looked jerky and had those interlace lines in the movement.

deadverdi

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
just curious

i'm having the same issues.

when i tried using the apple codec and cinema tools, the image became much darker then it was filmed. especially compared to when i captured it in the default raw settings for 1080i60.

what i tried doing was rendering (in FCP) the same raw footage captured in the 24a format as a 24fps file. the results weren't bad at all. the file was 24fps, and was a little darker then the original but not as dark as the apple codec version.

i'm wondering, does this camera in fact capture at 24fps? or just gives the effect of 24p but in reality fims 30... or 60... or whatever HD films at. if this were the case then i suppose it's no big deal that i just capture the footage at the default settings then just render at 24fps. the only problem with that is, will i have to deal with a sync issue? because when i rendered it as a 24fps file it was only a 10 second clip, so it seemed to be synced perfectly. however when it comes to the final document will the audio be compleatly off? i'm not sure.

am i even making sense...
also not sure...

thanks either way.

damiandixon

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
Geelong, Australia
i'm wondering, does this camera in fact capture at 24fps? or just gives the effect of 24p but in reality fims 30... or 60... or whatever HD films at.

Well, you hit it on the head! The V1U captures at 30fps (or 60 interlaced frames per second). Interlacing here is the key for the 24A mode (note. 24A is NOT 24p). What the camera does, is sample the image at 24 full frames per second. As it can only record 60i, the camera does some tricky stuff with the 24 full frames and interlaces the full frames so that they are spread out over the 60 interlaced fields.

That means that when you do a reverce telecine to the 1080i60 footage, the full 24 frames are pulled out of the 60i stream.

The difference between 24A and 24p is to do with the HDV compression. HDV doesn't create a full image for each frame like DVCAM does. Because HDV uses MPEG-2, it creates what are called temporal frames, which are frames that only record the data that has changed from the last frame.

To do a reverse telecine (and get the full 24 frames) the footage has to be captured and written as a full image for every frame. hence the use of apple intermediate codec. (or in FCP 6, you should use the ProRes 422! :D)
but there is a problem...

Because 24 doesn't divide by 60 very well. (0.4) it means that recording in 24p will cause some 24p frames to be split between 2 different 60i frames. Thats where 24A comes in, 24A messes around with the timecode of the 60i recording so that each time you record a 24A shot, the timecode starts on a full frame rather than the second field in a frame. this means that your timecode will be broken and unusable if you shoot 24A.

Wow, that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense! :confused:

I'll post it now and i'll see if i can make it any clearer later! :)

damiandixon

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
Geelong, Australia
oh and -igor,

I'm not sure what to change it to, as I don't actually have a V1U (I have a V1P here in Australia, there is no 24A mode on ours... :() but just try and capture a small clip on each of the different settings.

deadverdi

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
That means that when you do a reverce telecine to the 1080i60 footage, the full 24 frames are pulled out of the 60i stream.

i tried capturing using the apple codec but it turns out really dark compared to when i capture using a standard 1080i60 setting. it turns REALLY dark actually. i'm not really sure what to do about this. perhaps capture using another mac with fcp 6?
i dunno.

i'm gonna see what it looks like if i do a pulldown to 24fps simply when i render an .mov file. only i'll try it on a longer file. hopefully the sync won't be compleatly thrown off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.