Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
Hi, I'm trying to use Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown from some video I shot using a Sony HVR-Z1U. I'm capturing the video as 1080i60 HDV.

I load a clip into cinema tools, select reverse telecine using the Frame 1 - Frame 2 and AA settings, which I've been told are correct.

When the clip is done processing it's still interlaced and looks wrong.

I've tried every parameter combination for reverse telecine, no go. What am I doing wrong?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
The Z1U doesn't have a 24p mode which is why the footage looks screwed up coming out of CT. The Sony Cineframe24 mode is designed to 'mimic' the look of shooting at 24fps, but it's not 24fps and it kinda mauls the footage so people avoid using it.

AdamWilt.com:
Cutting to the chase: CF24 cherry-picks fields from the camera's 60i video stream to simulate the juddery motion of 24p. However, the motion is worse (more uneven, more syncopated) than true 24p imagery, and it cannot be reverse-telecined to get smooth 24fps imagery. CF24 is fine as a special effect if you're staying on video at 60i, but it's not suitable for a true 24fps feel, nor will it work for film-outs: the motion is too unsmooth, and the vertical resolution of the image is damaged.

Lethal

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
Thanks. In hindsight it looks like I would have been better off shooting 1080i50 PAL, deinterlacing it, and then conforming it to 24p in CT. I guess that's why they call them learning experiences.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks. In hindsight it looks like I would have been better off shooting 1080i50 PAL, deinterlacing it, and then conforming it to 24p in CT. I guess that's why they call them learning experiences.
If you are trying to get a 'film look' then shooting in the CineFrame 25 mode would probably be your best bet.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.