HVR Z5E files to iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ecopod, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ecopod macrumors member

Good morning,

I need help, friend was selling off some video gear so I've ended up with a Sony HVR Z5E with a card reader clipped on behind the battery (think MRC1), the camera is way beyond what I need but great fun none the less, I can film and upload to iMovie no problem by connecting camera directly, I cannot however get the files from the card to iMovie (hoping this will save time), the file structure on the card is as per screenshot and I'm using mid 2012 macbook with 10.9.5 installed. Is there a way to import files to iMovie.

Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Does that mean you can import from the camcorder to iMovie?
    If so, why the question:

3. ecopod thread starter macrumors member

I can connect with firewire and capture into iMovies as video plays on camcorder, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the benefit of the card reader was to significantly speed up the process by dragging files from the card into iMovies, current set up means I'm as long uploading as I am shooting.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

To import from the miniDV tape, you can only do it in real time via the Firewire lead. Your screenshot shows what's on the CF card. iMovie is obviously not recognising it either when it's in the camera or the card reader.

In the screenshot, the video file is the mts file. You could try dragging that onto your Mac and then use RewrapAVCHD to change the container from AVCHD to m4v. The file is not converted so there's no loss of quality and it's quite quick. You can then import that m4v into iMovie, which again is quite quick,and the whole operation may be quicker than importing from tape.
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39800/rewrapavchd

5. ecopod thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks for the response, very helpful and will give Rewrap a go tonight. Last night I discovered I could load the mts files into handbrake and convert to MP4 for iMovie but appeared to loose some quality (single file at a time wasn't an issue as I'm shooting one take 3-4 minute scenes).

I'm guessing cards are for pro users with pro software (most definitely not me), otherwise doesn't seem much point if it takes same time to upload as it does with tape. Friend is brining over Premier Elements and is sure that can handle mts directly so may go Adobe route.

Many thanks for your help.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You should be able to import AVCHD(ie mts) video direct into iMovie. However, your camcorder is not listed on the Apple site as being compatible with iMovie.

7. ecopod thread starter macrumors member

Just finished trying out Adobe Premier Elements and will go with that, does exactly what I hoped iMovie could do i.e. shot some footage, ejected card and put it into card reader, Elements instantly recognised mts files and placed footage in timeline ready for editing. Now have super fast work stream and can finally see benefit of recording to card (will also keep tapes as archive).

Rewrap worked as you suggested and definitely would've been my choice if I had needed to go with iMovie.

Many thanks for your help and responses.