HWPen: iPhone Handwriting Application

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Ok I am getting ridiculously excited for iPhone 2.0 and the app store. The sky is seriously going to be the limit with the iPhone :D Please Apple, PLEASE make a 32 GB model!!!

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Anyone else wondering what in the hell is going on in that iPhones titlebar display? I've never seen one that crazy. A flashing mail icon would be great. Sometimes I have my phone set to vibrate and don't feel it, and when reopened its still in safari and I don't see the (1) new message icon. Is the heart some sort of wifi indicator that goes three sizes? I'm confused.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Anyone else wondering what in the hell is going on in that iPhones titlebar display? I've never seen one that crazy. A flashing mail icon would be great. Sometimes I have my phone set to vibrate and don't feel it, and when reopened its still in safari and I don't see the (1) new message icon. Is the heart some sort of wifi indicator that goes three sizes? I'm confused.
well we know they hacked the hell out of their phone. I hope this or a similar app comes out for an official release. Looks nice though. Looking forward.

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
I have no interest in handwriting recognition software for the iphone.

How, exactly, is trying to write with your finger on a small screen going to be an advantage over typing on a keyboard???

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California

How, exactly, is trying to write with your finger on a small screen going to be an advantage over typing on a keyboard???
Possibly if you are not looking at the screen as you write. I often jot down notes without looking at my paper. The only problem is that later you have notes full of weird spellings and random characters.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I could imagine this being quite useful if there is a stylus that works with the iPhone. Hell my Pocket PC was great for notes since it used the whole display.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.

raggedjimmi said:
I could imagine this being quite useful if there is a stylus that works with the iPhone. Hell my Pocket PC was great for notes since it used the whole display.
There is a stylus that works with the iPhone. I just can't remember where I saw it. I know it exists though...unless they stopped selling it. People criticized its usefulness. Apparently it used some special capacitive touch tip and I think it cost around $25-30. This would be more useful on the iTab though, with its larger screen.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
A flashing mail icon would be great. Sometimes I have my phone set to vibrate and don't feel it, and when reopened its still in safari and I don't see the (1) new message icon. Is the heart some sort of wifi indicator that goes three sizes? I'm confused.
Have you tried TaskbarNotifier (or something like that)? It works great. Shows an icon if you have unread mail or texts, or a missed call, all using separate icons which appear up by the battery icon.

RST

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
for anyone wondering, i know this is in beta, but it seriously stinks- at least for english characters.

the 3 buttons for ABC 123 and handwriting is also kinda annoying.

in the long run, i dont have a real need for this so i will be uninstalling, but its a good sign for things to come.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island

Also agreed. In order for this to be functional, you really need a stylus, which won't work because it doesn't go by a press-screen touch function, like other PDAs. The keyboard is great, I can type really fast and whenever I mess up it corrects it for me without my need to do anything. And it is usually right in the correcting my mistakes department. :)

Jailbreaking is stupid to begin with and this is clear proof. App Store will provide much better, useful applications.

beppo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
u.s.a.
pretty cool

I just downloaded to to my iPod touch and it's pretty cool. No, if you're good at typing on the keyboard then it it's really all that useful but it is pretty fun to play around w\ hopefully some more updates will make it more accurate.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Also agreed. In order for this to be functional, you really need a stylus, which won't work because it doesn't go by a press-screen touch function, like other PDAs. The keyboard is great, I can type really fast and whenever I mess up it corrects it for me without my need to do anything. And it is usually right in the correcting my mistakes department. :)

Jailbreaking is stupid to begin with and this is clear proof. App Store will provide much better, useful applications.
As already stated, there is an existing stylus that functions with the iphone.

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
It's the apps like these that make me wish I had just stuck with my jailbroken phone back before you had to screw with the bandwith and other stuff. Seriously, my fun at macrumors has seriously declined. Now all I can do is check for updates on 2.0...please help!

SamuraiHaircut

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Asian Handwriting Recognition

I think this is a great first step toward making the mobile Mac platform viable in becoming for Asian character based dictionaries. Just try going overseas monolingual and figuring out what a sign in China, Japan, or Korea says without having this kind of capability (and the dictionary software on your phone).:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.