Hybrid Drive for 2008 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AcesHigh87, Nov 6, 2012.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've got an early 2008 macbook white (macbook 4,1) and I've been considering ways to speed it up for quite some time now. I know I should upgrade my RAM as well (Running Lion on 2GB is painful) but I was wondering how much a hybrid drive would help me as well. I was considering this one specifically:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

First off, I know that's SATA 3.0Gb/s and my macbook only reads 1.5 but SATA is backwards compatible so that's fine. I just wanted to see with people who might know more whether or not certain drives will work better with macs. So yeah, would that guy work?

As well, how much of an improvement will I see with a hybrid drive? I know they aren't as fast as SSD but I don't really have the money for that and the size is a bit small for my liking so I was considering a hybrid drive.

So yeah, does anyone have some experience with hybrid drives in older macs?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Thanks for the suggestion. It's $10 more but that is made up for with free shipping while the other had $10 shipping. I'd be just paying a bit more in tax.

I have to ask though, aside from the extra 250GB of space how much better is the newer one compared to the old one? Like what does the extra cache do.

I'll admit, I haven't looked much into these drives, just know they are supposed to be better.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's alright. The bump to 8 GB of cache means more can be stored on there vs. reading off the disk. I can bore you with some numbers too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hybrid-hard-drive-flash-ssd,3116.html

Tom's conclusion is that for the price and storage its a great deal even if it isn't truly a SSD in all situations. I'll probably be picking up that same Momentus XT if I get a new laptop for Christmas.