Hybrid Drive: good choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xxxamazexxx, Nov 24, 2014.

1. xxxamazexxx macrumors member

I have a 2010 white MacBook (7,2) and I'm planning to replace the current hard drive with this Seagate 1TB SSHD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B99JUBQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER). It looks like the right choice for me in terms of storage, performance, and cost.

I wonder, however, if this would actually be a good choice? People who have done it, do you feel it was worth it?

Also, I plan to do the upgrade by first cloning my current hard drive to the new drive, then subbing it in. Would that work without further actions?

2. gooser macrumors 6502a

i have a seagate hybrid in mine and i like the result.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I think hybrid drives should at least beat ExpressCache from ultrabooks, that is, they should have a SSD with a minimum size of 64GB.

4. Jonathon71 Suspended

Slow down

They will work fine enough, no doubt about that. But, I should say that your Macbook was not meant for 1TB HDD. So, the loading time will increase than the usual. Mean's your Macbook might slows down with that 1 TB

5. lp2000 macrumors newbie

I have exactly that same disk in my Macbook4,1 (Early 2008) and works fine. Nice performance improvement compared to HDD. No issue at all for some months now. Running OSX Lion.