Hybrid drive in Macbook Pro 2010 Model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carteblanche2, Jan 5, 2011.

1. carteblanche2 macrumors newbie

Just installed a Seagate 500GB Momentus XT 2.5" Hybrid SSD/HDD SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache in my Macbook Pro. From pressing start button to my password takes 61 seconds. This is after staring about 10 times to get the SSD part remembering my setup. If I attach the original Hitachi 5400rpm drive into a USB port and press the ALT key on start up and select the new Seagate drive the boot time is 37 secs. This seems very odd to me. Anybody else experienced similar.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Spotlight is not indexing by chance?
    Give it a week or so and see what happens. It might not be fully used to the drive yet, and you might have some background processes. Do you have any apps that are set to open right away, such as skype or something?

3. carteblanche2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Yes I do have Skype, although it is set to come on at startup and unlike the original Hitachi disk it does not automatically come on. What do you mean by Spotlight Indexing. I also have Mail set to come on at startup and that works fine with both disks.

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

From what I can tell those drives are not any faster than a regular drive. Compare your boot times to the times with a real SSD...macbook air 13" 2010 model took 15 seconds to get to the DESKTOP from the time I pressed the RESTART button in the apple menu

5. carteblanche2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have been trying different drives and in my 13" MBP which is 2010 I also fitted a Crucial SSD drive and this took about 19 secs to boot. But again could not get Skype to boot automatically and sometimes entering Backup the thing would freeze. What SSD do you have

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Just go into system preferences/startup disk: Make sure that the new drive is highlighted and click restart. That should make it startup faster..... hopefully.

Let me now if that helps.

7. carteblanche2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that helped a lot. from pressing power button to Password took 24 secs. A great improvement.

8. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Yeah!