Hybrid Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hoolig4n, May 1, 2012.

1. Hoolig4n macrumors newbie

Haven't read alot on these forums about hybrid drives in macbook pro. I am in need of the space, and was thinkin about picking up a seagate momentus for the faster speeds until 512GB SSD drops in a price a tad. Anyone having a good experience with these hybrid drives?

2. cperry2 macrumors regular

Haven't tried it myself, but a friend of mine recommends it - the momentus is your best bet. Make sure it's the 750 as it has an 8gb sd as opposed to 4gigs on the 500.

Another option: put your os and apps on a 60-128gb ssd and optibay the cd space for a regular 7200. A solution that's in inbetween in terms of both performance and price.

3. Hoolig4n thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in process of switching my laptop to a mac, i'm waitin on new macbook pro. So if there is room I may do that, but leaning toward one bigger drive if there is still a CD Drive.

4. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

If you do a search for Seagate Momentous XT you will find literally dozens of threads on that drive.

5. pbankey macrumors newbie

I'm a Momentus XT 750GB owner for my 13" MBP. Best investment ever. This thing literally starts up in the blink of an eye and shuts down even quicker -- and this is with saving the open windows/applications.

The best part is that it's smart. It detects your most frequently accessed data and applications and puts those on the flash and puts the lesser-used things on the HDD.

One thing to keep in mind -- the write speeds are that of a 7200rpm HDD. The read speeds for the flash parts are that of an SSD

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

ROFL, best spambot ever.

Please don't delete this post! hahahah:D:D:D

7. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    I've got a really good friend who was debating smaller SSD or Hybrid, and finally bit the bullet on a 750GB 7200rpm / 8GB hybrid from seagate (I think).

He loves it, and it is a dramatic improvement from the hard drive alone. Applications are much less painful to work with, and same goes for startup and shutdown. No, it's not as fast as the SSD in my air, but it's so much better than the original drive, it's like a new computer.

Of note, he added it to the 15" 2.66Ghz i7 from mid-2010, 8gb ram... and it previously had the 500gb 7200rpm drive.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

:D

He's even managed to stay on topic.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I'm on the brink of buying a momentus xt 750 myself.

I need about 300gb of storage to comfortably use my MBP (I do a bit of VM work) and 512gb SSDs are still too expensive. If i was to sacrifice the optical drive (for say, a 120gb ssd + hd), i'd still be doing data shuffling between ssd and hd to make use of the space properly.

So.... hybrid it is.

10. Rosto macrumors newbie

I got myself a 750GB Momentus XT drive a couple of weeks ago... I see much improvement over the old stock 320GB!!

Made a little vid with the booting time so you can see for youtself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6OQrxbXbdc

This boots OSX Lion and starts iTunes.. All other frequently used apps start very fast too.

So, lots of space, and a fast experience.. Nice disk!!

But if you have the money to spare... it cannot beat a large SSD..