Hybrid Hard Drives in a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LP FRET12, Jun 29, 2010.

1. LP FRET12 macrumors newbie

I just ordered my MBP 15", uber stoked by the way, and I ordered a Seagate Momentous 7200rpm/SSD hybrid to install from MacSales.com. Does anyone have any information or experience with this hard drive? CNET gave it very high remarks. Just curious what the MacRumors: Forums folks had to say on the topic.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

personally i dont have the drive. but just reading the reviews/benchmarks it looks to be a very impressive upgrade for the price. installing it into your MBP will be no problems at all. congrats on the purchase!!!

startup times of the computer/apps will be AMAZING!

jealous ;)

3. waynema macrumors member

Ive had an XT for 3 weeks now.
    Comming from X25-M G2, Id say the XT is not quite not in the same league in terms of performance.

4. LP FRET12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely do not expect it to perform on the level of an SSD, but I do expect it to perform better than a 7200rpm.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats the idea lol. commonly accessed files are stored on the 4GB SSD, allowing for faster app launches etc.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...did you have an 80 or a 160 intel SSD?

I wonder how well this drive would work in the Optibay with an SSD as the boot drive = would it just be wasting $$?

7. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

That should be a killer combo. Why not ~~~~~~ :D

That said, the hybrid probably isn't really needed as a data drive. I'm using a standard 7200 RPM data drive (with an SSD boot/ap drive) and find the 7200 HD to be totally adequate for video editing with FCS.

cheers
    JohnG

8. LP FRET12 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I'm seriously considering a 500GB Momentus XT. The only thing that I'm not sure about is how well I would benefit since I switch back and forth between OSX and Windows 7. The poor thing would be totally confused.

I'm also interested in the vibration issue that has been mentioned on reviews I've read. I'm mainly considering it because I need more drive space. I do way too many projects, and that easily fills my 250GB drive up...

I miss the old days when 30GB was all I needed...

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Man, I'm jeleous of you! I have to get myself one of those drives :D

Btw, congradz on the purchase!

11. Neurobit macrumors regular

From what I have read, the drive can't distinguish nor cares what OS you use. It bases the algorithm on the most often used portions of the drive at the block level, so you should see increased performance regardless.

Neurobit