Hybrid HD in new 15" MBP (non ret)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpastikMonkii, Jan 5, 2013.

1. SpastikMonkii macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Planning on picking up a new 15" MBP for video/photo work. Going with the non-retina for the ability to upgrade a few things. I plan to put 16gb of RAM in and swap the cto HD out with a hybrid drive.

I wanted to double check my plan with you guys since I've only done basic hardware stuff before:

1) buy new MBP, use migration assist to take the stuff over from my old, dying Macbook

2) time machine backup the new MBP to an external drive

3) remove stock HD and replace it with: Seagate Momentus XT STBD750100 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive (should fit just fine, right?)

4) boot up and restore from the new drive from the time machine backup of the new MBP

Any holes in my plan? Thanks!

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Its a generally sound plan, but you have an extra step in there that's totally unnecessary. Install your new drive first, and then migrate from the old laptop. Or even better (though a little more time-consuming) install your new drive, do a clean install of the OS and your software then just migrate your data files.

As for the MoXT: it's a good, cheap solution for those that need more space than an SSD can offer at a reasonable price. If you can get away with 256GB, however, I would get an SSD. And I would even consider a 512GB SSD if I were putting it in a new notebook now that they're right at $300. I put a MoXT into my 2011, because it didn't make sense to spend $300 on an almost 2 year old laptop and I needed more than 256GB. Once the 512GB drives get below $200, it'll be hard for me to justify the MoXT. But it will fit just fine in any case.

___