Hybrid HDD/SSD for new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applesoundgear, Jun 17, 2012.

1. applesoundgear macrumors member

2. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Hybrid hard drives don't make any sense to me. For the money just buy a SSD and replace it with the optical drive that you never use.

3. applesoundgear thread starter macrumors member

There is not an SSD for $150 with enough capacity for me. Although, I'm unfamiliar with the benefits of having an SSD in addition to an HDD. If I had a low capacity SSD instead of an optical drive, how would my speeds change?

4. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

You can get a 256GB SSD for $180 these days. I don't know how much space you are wanting. I would just pair it up with an external hard drive if you really needed the space.

5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I'm not sure how people do it but I know you can replace the optical drive with a hard drive. Then pop in a SSD in the main slot. You'll have to reload os x on the SSD though.

here's a how to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMHnAxvMCNQ

this way you have the speed of the SSD and storage of a mechanical all in your laptop. It will kill your battery life I'm sure though. Obviously you can do whatever you want. You may not have the budget now but if you save ...

6. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I was in the same position as you. 256gb SSD wasn't enough for me so I went for the 500 gb hybrid. I did not see a great speed increase, but for $150 I plan to get at least 2 more years out of my MacBook. The 512gb SSD I was looking at was around $400 at the time. About 2 months ago.

7. cube macrumors G5

Hybrid makes a lot more sense that removing your optical drive.

Hybrid provides what most people are looking for.
    If you're going to do virtualization, then yes, get an SSD.

8. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

will the drive listed above work with a 2008 MBP (all silver model) ?

9. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I have the 750GB hybrid seagate. It made a WORLD of difference on my 2008 macbook. It was night and day faster. If you need lots of storage and can't afford a huge SSd then go for it. It is a great hold over until prices come down!

----------

It is also worth nothing that Seagate made lots of changes to the 750gb drives that made them more reliable and faster than the 500gb. The biggest difference is the 8gb of cache.

10. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Ahh ... didn't know that when I made the purchase. I *think* I had the 500gb in my Amazon wishlist for months and when I decided to make the purchase it told me a newer item existed so I bought the new one? I really can't remember.