Hybrid HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris2k11, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Chris2k11 macrumors member

Chris2k11

Does anyone have an experience with these? Part SSD and Part HDD.

2. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I have been using one for the past few months, its a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB. Its quite quick and a good compromise if you don't wanto fork out a kidney to buy an SSD. Just make sure that if you buy one to upgrade the drives firmware to the latest version which I believe is SD24. Hybrids are a bit of an improvement over standard HDD's but definitely not in the league of SSD's for performance. I do HD video work on my hybrid and its quite an improvement over the standard drives that MBP's come with. Hope that helped...

3. Chris2k11 thread starter macrumors member

Chris2k11

Yeah it does. Thank You. And yeah a kidney, because even 128Gb SSD from apple is 200.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

So no issues with the Seagate Momentus? I was thinking of getting an optibay and putting the OS on an SSD, and mounting the /Users on the Momentus hybrid drive.

5. TarmacNinja macrumors newbie

no issues here. i too purchased the xt 500gig. i have owned a few sandforce ssds and while obviously the performance isnt comparable, i would put the hybrid drive around a raptor 10k. sometimes a little slower, most of the time alot faster. pretty quiet. owned it for a few months and has been in 3 different macbook pros. i had a c2d, i7 duo, now the i7 quad.

6. TimShady macrumors member

I haven't had any issues with the Momentus XT either. I upgraded my 2009 2.26Ghz MBP with that HDD and 4GB of RAM from 2. I thought it was fast before, now it's even more snappy and smooth. Very satisfied this the hybrid drive.

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Glad to hear this. This is exactly the model I have. I just upped it to 8GB. and it has had a Scorpio black drive since I first bought it. but want to go with an SSD and a Hybrid drive with the optibay. Basically Im gonna max it out, so I don't have to worry about it for a while.

8. Chris2k11 thread starter macrumors member

Chris2k11

Thanks for the replies. One last question for 13" owners, any drop in battery life?

9. c1phr macrumors 6502

I was actually wondering the same thing (albeit for the 15" model).

The Momentus XT is at 1.1w avg. operating power and 2.2w avg. seek power. I can't however, find the specs for the stock Hitachi hard disks.

10. ryanrich macrumors regular

I haven't noticed any drop in battery life at all.