Hybrid HHD for 2009 24in iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hard-Hat-Mac, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

History: Updated to ML. Worked great for a few weeks, then what I thought was ML was actually my HHD. I would get really slow and programs would beach ball, then come back to life etc. Shut it down and couldn't get it to restart tried everything to repairing verifying everything. So I had to reformat and do a fresh install via ML USB installer, now I keep getting the same thing on a fresh system "kernel disk2s1: I/O error"

ANYWAY... so now that from what I read this means that my HHD is on it's way out, I wanted to upgrade to a SSD/HHD hybrid. But I'm not sure which one to buy? I am going to have a local shop install it but they said that I need to buy it from MacSales.com or something like that and give it to them.

HELP!

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I believe the only ones OWC (macsales.com) sells are the 2.5" Seagate Momentus hybrid drives. They are good drives from what I hear though. Here is a link if you want to check them out: Hybrid Drives

3. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

The Momentus XT drives are very good indeed. Its a good mix between a bit faster than normal 7200rpm drives and price to storage ratio.

4. Hard-Hat-Mac thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm I have 1TB now. Was hoping to have at least that if not possibly more. Also SO ineed a 2.5 inch drive?

5. cube macrumors G5

The only hybrid disk drives are the Seagate Momentus XT. They are 2.5".

The new generation is 750GB.

They are available from a lot of places.