Hybrid SLI + Snow Leopard Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oakiegu007, Dec 4, 2008.

1. oakiegu007 macrumors member

I'm debating between this gen. or last gen. MBP for purchase, but this isn't about purchasing advice!

I've looked everywhere, and see a lot of speculation, not not many definite answers, minus the NVIDIA site that says a big fat "no". However, I don't know if that's because of hardware or software ,and if Snow Leopard will change that.

In short, will Snow Leopard make use of having TWO GPUs? Or is the point of having two, solely for battery life?

2. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Nobody knows.

That's the best/only answer anyone can give you.

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

The hardware fully supports it.

Apple just has to let us have it.

C'mon Snow Leopard!!

4. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

nVidia says that the 9400M doesn't support use in a HybridSLI setup, so unless they make it possible with drivers in the future or something, no, it doesn't support it.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

6. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

No. It doesn't:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...mNoX3RleHQ9bWFjYm9vayBwcm8*&p_li=&p_topview=1

straight from the source:

And in their technologies article about notebook chipsets here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybridsli_notebook.html

You'll notice in the table a little bit lower on the page it has check marks if they are capable of 'GeForce Boost' and/or 'Hybrid Power' where it says the 9600M GT is not capable of the GeForce Boost technology, which is the combining of the onboard and discreet chip in HybridSLI to enhance performance.

So, no, it is not capable.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

A glimmer of hope -

The exact wording:

Does the Apple Macbook Pro (Late 2008) support NVIDIA's Hybrid SLI® technology?

THey may change this. Is annoying, as Nvidia has hinted about getting it sorted. Though aren't there changes to the motherboard to more efficiently move heat on the current MBPs? Might make hybrid more possible?

8. spentan macrumors member

I have ordered a new 17" Macbook Pro (June 09), and should be getting it within the next day or so.

With the advent of OpenCL and Grand Central Dispatch in Snow Leopard, I am hoping that both cores of the Core 2 Duo, the 9400M and the 9600M GT will be available for multi-core processing.

We'll just have to wait and see. :D

9. Leo72 macrumors member

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

11. Dreamail macrumors 6502

This seems inconclusive.

The tech specs link of the 9400M clearly says it supports Hybrid SLI.
    Which is a fact the Nvidia Q&A link does not directly deny. It merely says a Mac user can only chose between two usages: better battery life or higher performance.

From the wording of both it seems to me that this is not a technical limitation but rather a Mac OS limitation.

So we're back to square 1 and Hybrid SLI might be possible if Apple gets their OS in line to use it.

Perhaps another 'delayed feature' that got cut from Snow Leopard because they're behind in development. Akin to ZFS, Resolution Independence and 'Marble'...
    We'll probably get it in either a dot release or OS X 10.7.

12. Feng Shui macrumors regular

That thing is going to burn/fry your genitals with SLI. Better not to support SLI. :D

13. Leo72 macrumors member

You're right. According to Nvidia, MacOS X 10.5.7 is needed to use the Hybrid SLI function (sorry, i can't remember the exact page).

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Does mid 2009 MBPs support Boost mode?

"Does the Apple Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) support NVIDIA's Hybrid SLI® technology?"

15. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx