Hybrid SSD/HDD: Sharing one NTFS HDD between two OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oceanbox, Oct 1, 2014.

1. oceanbox macrumors newbie

EDIT: Forgot to say its on a Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro.

Hi,

I am trying to share one location for my Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, Videos, and other miscellaneous stuff on my HDD, while keeping important apps on the SSD.

However Windows can't read HFS+, so I am currently using the drive in NTFS.

I know I can install Paragon (I am using Tuxera, but now there are I/O problems and the drive won't mount in Mac) and use the NTFS drive, but I am wondering if I will encounter any errors like I am encountering now.

Mainly that sometimes the windows side will have to run a chkdsk before start up to fix 'issues' that I am guessing is from the Mac OS trying to write files without correct permissions and NTFS attributes to the drive.

TL;DR; Do I have to partition an HFS+ partition on my HDD? Is it impossible for me to keep the entire drive NTFS and share read/write privileges with both Windows OS and Mac OS?

Thanks.

2. Senf macrumors newbie

Hmm, OS X and (modern) Windows both support exFAT out of the box, so that's what I would use instead of NTFS (or HFS+). It does not track "file ownership" but that has NEVER been an issue for me - heck, I still use FAT32 from time to time since it is supported "everywhere".