Hybrid SSHD on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacPC, Dec 30, 2013.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

Hi,
    the hard drive on my 2008 iMac just died. I was considering getting a 1T SSD, but it's so darn expensive(>$600.00 USD!, OUCH!!:eek:) For an old iMac, I am not sure if it's even worth to spend that much..
    My next option is getting a hybrid SSHD. I am looking at this Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014 from Amazon, the price is rather affordable. However, I have never used a hybrid SSHD before, I have two questions:
    1. Would OSX recognize it as one drive? I cloned the entire disk from the dead HD for safe keeping, if I understand correctly, if I clone the backup drive to the SSHD, it should just be the same as the dead boot HD
    2. How much performance gain I get with a SSHD vs. a run of the mill 2.5" HD?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hexley macrumors 6502a

MacPC,

Did you buy a 1TB Desktop SSD already? According to the product page it will work with OS X out of the box without any special driver.

Per http://www.storagereview.com a Desktop SSHD like the 2TB Seagate read/write at 194MB/s while a 800GB platter WD Black HDD like the 4TB WD4003FZEX read/write at 186GB/s.

This also peaked my interest as I have a 2007 iMac that I want to rehabilitate without wasting the 3.5-inch space with a 2.5-inch drive.

3. andycho7 macrumors member

son that's some fast drive ;)