"HybridPower" on older MacBook Pros ? :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by limo79, Jan 23, 2009.

1. limo79 macrumors regular

Hi,

Maybe this is nothing new for some of us, but I discovered some time ago that Everest tool reports that MBP Early 2008 has two graphic cards:
    - GF8600 GT (well known)
    - Intel X3100 (reported as Disabled)

Everest also reports that there is Intel GM965 chipset (with integrated graphics card X3100).
    X3100 graphic card in MBP is also detected by OS after GF card failure.

Yes I know this is very poor graphic accelerator today, but from the other hand it is sufficient for web browsing, office work, SD movies etc The most important fact is that MBP has well known problems with bottom case temperature so switching to Intel X3100 could lead to much less temperatures.

Question is why Apple did not use GPU switching before ?

First answer: Intel GM965 chipset limitations, but please keep in mind that Sony VAIO started to use Stamina Power switch before Montevina platform (reboot is required), so it was/is possible.

Second answer: Stamina Switch is patented technology.

Question: is there any chance to switch between those two graphic cards ?

I am not Intel hardware engineer, but I suspect that we can enable/disable Intel graphics using PCR settings in UEFI bios. Of course we can also assume that Apple Logic Board PCB has all eventual components (pull-up/pull-down resistors, decoupling caps etc) and connections required by Intel spec.

Why I create this thread ? Maybe there are some tallented persons (programmers) interested to prepare such mod and share on MacRumors.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Everest is wrong.

Don't you think that with all the take aparts and tests someone would have discovered an unannounced GPU. Not to mention, Apple would have been touting this feature if it existed.